Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PPPOe vs. LAC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gunwitch

gunwitch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

this is a question that keeps flying around my head.

what is the difference between a PPPoE connection and a Local Area Connection. when i first set up my DSl modem/router, i was using the LAC and as of a few months ago, i can only get a PPPoE connection. i'm using a SpeedStream 4100 modem with a Netgear WGR614 v7 router, with a XBOX 360 connected as well.

any help would be cool.

bests,

brian

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2010 - 10:56 AM.
Moved from Email/Web Browsing to Networking ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

PPPoe stands for point to point protocol over ethernet. Wthe PPPoe you more than likely have to enter a username and password to establish a conection with the DSL server at the main office. While if you are using a connect that is just you Local Area Connection you are simply connecting accross your LAN with no need to contact the server first. So using the LAN is always on while the PPPoe requires user input to work (it probably also times out if your not using it continuously)
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 gunwitch

gunwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

PPPoe stands for point to point protocol over ethernet. Wthe PPPoe you more than likely have to enter a username and password to establish a conection with the DSL server at the main office. While if you are using a connect that is just you Local Area Connection you are simply connecting accross your LAN with no need to contact the server first. So using the LAN is always on while the PPPoe requires user input to work (it probably also times out if your not using it continuously)

thanks much...sorry bout not posting in the correct forum. is there a speed difference between the two?

thanks again

#4 HighDesertBum

HighDesertBum

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

thanks much...sorry bout not posting in the correct forum. is there a speed difference between the two?

thanks again

No, there shouldn't be.

#5 gunwitch

gunwitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

thanks again

No, there shouldn't be.

righteous handle...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users