Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro boots then black screen

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

Strange thing, my XP pro install worked fine, the the other day it started to boot got to the XP splash screen and then when the desktop was supposed to appear the screen goes black. no sounds nothing.

XP install is on the first of two HDD's wherein W7 ultimate is installed on the second and i dual boot.Shoud i just try to run a repair install in the XP install?

Ive tried safe mode and SM/ networking they hang at loading Mup.sys
I tried last know good configuration and it reacts the same as a normal boot.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

When was the Win 7 install added...and how was it done?

Does it boot properly?

Win 7 was installed on this system...I mean, the hard drive wasn't moved from a different system was it?

What does the dual-boot screen look like?

Louis

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

the XP install was on a 320 GB disk, i added a second disk, booted to the W7 install and choose the second disk as directory.
when the dual boot screen appears, it says something along the lines of choose which operating system
original windows
windows 7
then there is some other stuff then a windows memory diagnostic tool.

Yesterday when i left the house if worked fine, i got home a rebooted and i received a error that said something along the lines looking for a "network client" and "no boot file name received"restarted and got "no boot-able media" please hit CTRL ALT Delete to restart,i checked bios, and it would show the disks, i tried unhooking and trying each individually with no success then finally hooked then both up again, i remember changing the boot order of the disk in BIOS so the old disk was first and it rebooted fine. i haven turned it off yet to see what happens.

id still like to be able to get back to being able to repair the XP install so i can pull a bookmark backup form Firefox.

Edited by BNDAZ, 16 October 2010 - 12:46 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

Well...that's not so easy :thumbsup:.

Your XP boot files...have been replaced by your Win 7 boot files, they supercede the XP boot files when there is a dual-boot and Win 7 is the addition. Proof of this is the fact that your boot options refer to the XP install as "original windows" or something similar.

If the Win 7 boot files have a problem with your XP install...you will have to go to the Win 7 forum to find out how to overcome that.

On the other hand...the messages you say that you received when you got home yesterday...indicate a possibly weak CMOS battery, IMO. Typically when the battery gets weak and needs to be replaced...things start going wrong with the system that are hard to understand. Typically, the BIOS will revert to the default boot options, which...in many cases...will be to boot from the network. This happens without the user manually changing anything in the BIOS.

Asssuming that this is a desktop...I would suggest that you spend the small sum that a replacement CMOS battery costs (less than $5) and replace the one currently in your system. I do not guarantee that this is your problem or that it will cure/change anything...it's merely what I would do.

If you actually change the battery (series 2032, available anywhere these days that sells electronic/watch/camera batteries), be sure to put it back in with the same side reflected as the current battery.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

More Info on Changing CMOS Battery

Ignore any instructions that you read which say to write down settings...that used to be required, should not be required now. After replacing the batter, you will need to go into the BIOS...reset the data/time if it incorrect, check your boot options (make hard drive the first option)...then save the changes made by hitting F10. That will also reboot the system.

In short...I don't think there is anything at all wrong with your installs...just a failing battery which happens to be a key component of every system.

Someone else may think differently and I could be wrong.

Louis

#5 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

well i am off to get a battery !
I sure hope this solves the issue.
I will post back.

#6 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

replaced the battery and ran into the same issue, I tried booting to the old XP install and got a BSOD.
It seems about every 5th attempt it boots correctly, the first time it succeeded it had to go through a start-up repair, since it has booted several times without issue. so we shall see.
i have not tried to boot to XP, will try that later, have to go for a bit.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

Well...if you can't even boot into Win 7 consistently...I'd say that you need to consider possible hardware/malware issues, in addition to boot file problems with BCD.

If it were me...I'd remove the Win 7 install completely...correct the boot files so that I could boot XP independently of BCD...and see if XP has any problems minus the Win 7 install. Then I would do the same thing for the Win 7 disk. If all went well, I would then put both hard drives back in, do a repair install of Win 7...which would give new boot files and effect a dual-boot that should work...if all the hardware is good and there is no malware.

Louis

#8 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

when you say remove the W7 install, just disconnect the HDD?
How do i correct the boot file for XP?

Edited by BNDAZ, 16 October 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

Yes, just disconnect the PSU and motherboard connections from the Win 7 hard drive.

To get rid of the Win 7 boot files from the XP hard drive...http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/17/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-windows-7-or-vista-leaving-windows-xp-on-dual-boot-system/. Do not do Step 7, since you will have the Win 7 install on a separate drive which is not connected. The instructions assume that user wants to permanently get rid of Win 7 install.

Louis

#10 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

an issue is i cannot get XP to boot, seems it is corrupted.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

If you installed Win 7 after XP...the boot files are on the Vista drive...because the Win 7 bootloader takes over once it is installed after XP.

But you can still boot the XP install...after removing the Win 7 boot files...and then running (I think) the bootcfg /rebuild command on the XP install from the XP Recovery console.

You've outlined all sorts of situations...that are unorthodox.

What is the message that you receive...when you try to boot XP? Please be exact/specific. Have you detached the Win 7 hard drive?

Louis

#12 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

I appologize for the confusion, ill try to outline what is happening, for for now i am able to boot to W7 without issue, though one time today i got and the no bootable media error, please press CTRL ALT Delete to restart, which i did and received the same error. I had my external attached, so i disconnected it and did a hard reboot and was able to get into W7.

I have since rebooted and attempted to boot to "earlier version of windows" everything seems to go well, the XP splash screen appears and just when my desktop would normally appear the screen turns black.
This occurred PRIOR to and the reason why i installed W7 on the second disk
Everything else seems normal.
I do a hard reboot and am able to boot to W7.

I have not yet tried to boot to either disk with the other disconnected.
I wonder if there is a way to diagnose what is happening with the XP install.

Side-note: in the W7 install the PCI simple communications controller is showing as driver not installed on the W7 machine, i had downloaded what i thought was the appropriate chipset drivers for the board ( INtel DG33FB) but they didnt "take" it appears.
I have an inquiry up at the Intel board about this.
Could this be causing the issue(s)

Edited by BNDAZ, 17 October 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#13 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

Update:
I rebooted to attempt to boot to each drive seperatly, after numerous attempts with no success it became apparent that attempting to repair this bunged up dual boot was ridiculous.
I disconnected the old drive, booted to the W7 disk, formatted the new disk and reinstalled W7 alone.

Boots with out issue.
I appreciate all the effort you made in attempting to resolve my previous issues.
I am still having an issue getting the PCI simple communications controller driver installed , i am dealing with that at the Intel boards.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:59 AM

The PCI Simple item...is normally (IME) the dialup modem. If you don't have dialup, I would just disable the modem in the BIOS...and see if Device Manager clears up.

If the device is still reflected in Device Manager...I'm out of guesses :thumbsup:.

Louis

#15 valtech

valtech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

I have seen about 5 different XP machines have a startup problem like this in the last month.. Ive had to run a system repair to fix it on each of them. I have had users say they were last viewing something on internet explorer where it seemed to hang and they clicked on the red X to stop the transfer. Then IE abended and they had to end task. They did. Rebooted and saw the problem.

This user said she only uses the computer to check her email (yahoo), pay bills, and does not surf the web to any other site than the ones she has been using the last 2 years. So I dont think it is a virus or malware.. and I am leaning toward a windows update gone bad or something. Though I cannot yet figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users