Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brower Running Painfully Slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshinelsw

Sunshinelsw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

This started two days ago. Initially it was slow and then I could not even connect to a browser. Since then I have restored my computer back to the original condition and I can get connected to browsers but it either takes forever to do anything or it times out. This is a relatively new computer so I have a great deal of space. In addition my connection is running at 150 Mbps so it is not the internet. I have even turned off my virus software to see if that might be the culprit but it did not help. Please help me solve this issue. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

Lets do a couple speed tests from http://www.speedtest.net and post the images here.

#3 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

Doubt speed is the issue.

Kindly disable all your BHO. And remove temp files. That should speed it up.

I noticed it too the other day, I was installing Samsung Kies and noticed my PC was relatively lagging. I ran CCleaner and what do you know. 1.2 Gigs worth of useless temp files.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

I agree with the suggestion to disable/remove browser add-ons.

Louis

#5 Sunshinelsw

Sunshinelsw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

I have done both things that were mentioned in the replies to my issue. I have disabled my addons and ran the speed test which shows that my download speeds are at .01 Mbps and my upload speed is .04 Mbps. I am using HughesNet as there are no other options as far as internet. But I should think that I would get much better speed that this. It does seem that my desktop computers running Windows XP (one is wired and one is wireless)have much better speed than my laptop running Windows 7. I ran the test with only my laptop online as I have the other two computers shut down. I am at my wits end as far as this problem.

Edited by Sunshinelsw, 17 October 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

Call your ISP something is wrong with your internet connection. You are getting less then Dial-Up Speed.

#7 Sunshinelsw

Sunshinelsw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

What I don't understand is that when I check the status of my wireless connection it shows that the connection is at 150 Mbps. It is only when I am in a browser that things seem to slow down.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

150Megabits is your local connection inside your house not to the outside.

#9 Sunshinelsw

Sunshinelsw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

Thanks! I will check with HughesNet tomorrow. With the amount that they charge I should have a much faster speed than what I am getting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users