Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot - can't get past DELL screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

Our DELL D610 Laptop (XP) will not boot up.
The DELL start screen appears, but the progress bar does not move (just shows about 15mm/10%).
It doesn't show the F2 Boot/F12 BIOS instructions, and doesn't respond to these keys either. It does power off (immediately) in response to the power button.

It's my son's laptop and he should be using it for his university work. He said that over a period of months it had started to become more unreliable, but there were no clear symptoms.

I have an Ubuntu boot disk to try checking the hard disk, but it no longer boots far enough to try this.

What can I do now?

My son is concerned about the data on his hard disk. Could I fit it to my DELL D600 to try recovering it under Ubuntu? If so, how? I'm familiar with dismantling desktops, but have never tackled a laptop, so I don't know how to get at the hard disk/memory/motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

I wonder if the F2 key is bad, try tapping it a little harder just as soon as the dell screen shows.

Laptop hard drives are a little touchy to remove, but not too bad if you have small fingers. Just take your time.

You would need an adapter, probably an ide to usb but an enclosure is cheapest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:56 AM

Thank you.
Well, I did try pressing the F2 key harder, but I don't think it becomes active until the text is displayed on the screen -- and the F2/F12 text is NOT displayed, so a faulty F2 key is perhaps optimistic. I'm not convinced it's getting as far as accessing the hard drive, so I don't know if there are any problems with the drive or not.

Getting an enclosure sounds like a good idea, as it saves dismantling two laptops! (I already have a USB drive to back-up to, but is not suitable for putting a different drive in.)

How do I get to the hard drive? (I have not dismantled a laptop before.)

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/nb_scrn_14mo...cs=28&s=dfb.

If you look at the bottom. there's a rectangular plate with screws. 3x5" at most

The small square plate might be the ram

Edited by DaChew, 16 October 2010 - 06:25 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users