Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadband often worse than Dial up

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Eraser23

Eraser23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

Problem?

Hello, I'm currently in shared accommodation for my final year at University. I've been living in the house for 1 year in total. I share the internet with 3 other householders.

I left this house in May 2010, and lived away, until recently arriving back at the flat last week. I and all the other housemates have noticed that our broadband speeds is absolutely pathetic, and I mean pathetic. It seriously responds like I remember dial-up some 15 years ago when I had it. OUR CONNECTION SPEED WAS NOT LIKE THIS WHEN WE LEFT FOR SUMMER.

We are currently using Talk Talk, and after doing some research I stumbled across the fact that Talk Talk and Carphone Warehouse went their separate ways, sometime around March 2010. Could we have been dealt a dodgy server? I thought I'd add it for some background info.

What can we do? We can browse the internet extremely slowly, with web pages taking between 3-5 seconds to load. All media websites are off limit, with websites such as BBC iPlayer and Youtube taking forever to buffer videos (actually BBC iPlayer is a total no go zone, it keeps buffering every 2 seconds).

I have contacted out landlord, to which in return he gave me the Talk Talk contact number, which I replied "It's worthless because you set it up, so you have the documentation for which they'll ask." He's contacting them tomorrow apparently, but I don;t hold much hope, as he doesn't seem too computer savvy, hence why I came here.

What have I done to try and figure out what's wrong?

1) I have obviously checked the modem, unplugged all the wires and replugged them making sure they all fit correctly and plush.

2) I've ran speed tests, which have brought back shocking results.

3) I've managed to access the modem settings etc, via a web page - therefore I could change the WEP key etc and offer you numerous settings listed there if you think that's the right way to go about it.

----------

I've obviously thought about someone in the local neighborhood stealing our bandwidth / wireless - so in theory a WEP key change should solve that right? I've also checked the listed computers on the network through the web / IP panel, and it shows 5 IP addresses, when there should only be 4 computers attached to it (although granted the last IP address has no computer name linked to it - like my friends and mine.)

If you require screen shots or anything just ask, I want to get down to the bottom of this, thanks in advance.

Speak soon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users