Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use internet unless modem is on at boot up - then 6 hours latter error shows up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TownsendAB

TownsendAB

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

I have a problem that is driving me batty. If anybody can offer any solution I would be most appreciative.
My system - XP Home Version Win32, SP2 with all the updates. I have a Motorola modem. The computer is a solitary computer, not networked with any other computer. I don't use any kind of a router, modem connects directly to computer. I have a NVIDIA nForce Network Controller. Also, I have ran "sfc /scannow".

When I boot up, if I don't have the modem on before boot up, I get a "Generic Host Process For Win32 Services Has Encountered A problem And Needs To Close" error message within 20-30 seconds after boot up. If I have my modem on before boot up, everything is ok. Regardless of whether or not I have my modem on, my Network Connections always shows the Local Area Connection status as "Connected, Firewalled"
But here is where the real puzzler happens. If I boot up with the modem on first, as stated, everything is ok. But after exactly 6 hours ( to the minute ) after boot up, the "Generic Host Process" error pops up. When this happens, it takes down one of my svchost.exe ( There are usually 6 or 7 running that show up in the tasklist ). The one that goes down is the biggest one that has things like : Windows Audio, DHCP Client, Network Location Awareness, Remote Access Connection Manager, Windows Firewall, Etc. , in it. Most of these services I can restart, but I can't restart my firewall. Not wanting to go on the internet without a firewall, I will reboot, which gives me another 6 hours before the error pops up again.
This has really drove me crazy for the past 4 weeks and any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

<<Win32, SP2 with all the updates...>>

Just semantics...but you cannot have all the updates if SP2 is installed...

System manufacturer and model?

Cable modem or dialup modem?

Have you checked with your ISP?

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

With broadband your Modem should never be powered off unless its for troubleshooting or moving it to another room. Your ISP pushes updates out that help enhance your features and provide security updates.

#4 TownsendAB

TownsendAB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

It is a generic system with a AMD chip bought 4 years ago. I believe it had SP2 on it when bought.
Except for the first few months , the automatic updates have always been turned off. Up until now I have never had any
problems with the computer. After this happened, I went to the MS site and installed ( I thought ) all of the
alerts or patches. Haven't installed any programs on it for a good while, except I upgraded MS Internet browser
over 6 weeks ago. Never had so much as a crash or problem until this showed up out of the blue.
I have cable modem ( Motorola )
I haven't checked with my ISP, but even if I have the modem off at boot up, I get the "Generic Host Process " error.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

You should always keep your modem powered on.

Do you have nVidia Network Access Manager installed?

#6 TownsendAB

TownsendAB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

I have a "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Properties" that I can get to, but that is all that I know of.
It shows "This device is working properly"

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Can you go to Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs and tell me whats installed with anything nVidia Related?

#8 TownsendAB

TownsendAB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

The only thing in the add/remove programs is "nvidia drivers"

Also:
driver provider NVIDIA
driver date 7/29/2005
driver version 50.0.9.0

But i have never had any problems except up until a few weeks ago.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#10 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

Since your svchost is crashing, you have a service that is crashing. If you start up your machine and let it crash, then click Start -> Run... and type in "services.msc" and hit Enter it will bring up your services control panel applet.

Scroll down the list and look for anything set to "Automatic" that isn't also "Started".

If you find one, odds are that's the one that's crashing.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

With broadband your Modem should never be powered off unless its for troubleshooting or moving it to another room. Your ISP pushes updates out that help enhance your features and provide security updates.

I have always turned off my computer and modem at night (at the wall switch) - I usually give the computer 5 mins to fully power off after clicking "turn off computer" and then I switch the wall plug off (both run off the same wall outlet) - I just power off comp if it will be an hour or 2 -
Have I been doing the wrong thing for all these years ?? Broadband for at least 3 years , and dialup prior to that -
I have never heard of this at any other time - Also I have never had problems with my XP and now a new Win 7 also -
Sorry for hijacking post , but it may be relevant -
Thank You -

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

I have always been told by Comcast and now Verizon that in order to get the fullest potential out of my broadband experience to leave your Modem on 24/7 especially if you get TV through your cable, as they push Set Top Box updates through your internet connection, and it makes updating the guides easier. It will also limit issues pertaining to firmware and network stability for always on connections. There is a reason why they are always on.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

@ cryptodan - Thanks for your explanation - :thumbsup:
My broadband is via a telephone cable , not a TV or similar outlet - This might explain why I have never been asked to leave it on -
I can use a Linksys or if that 'fails' I have a NetComm unit - Both usually work about the same , most times -
A quick email contact via my ISP said it will not matter either way due to my setup -
Thank You -
EDITED for TownsendAb message -

I went to the MS site and installed ( I thought ) all of the alerts or patches. Haven't installed any programs on it for a good while, except I upgraded MS Internet browserover 6 weeks ago.

If you update to XP SP3 and allow automatic updates , I think you will find there are quite a few missing , since SP2 support stopped about 5 or 6 months ago -
It is now like waiting for Windows 98 updates to come in - No such animal exists -
The update to SP3 is not quick (unless you have a very fast service) but is well worth it -

Edited by noknojon, 18 October 2010 - 04:56 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

You may still want to call your ISP and verify that you need to keep your modem on receive updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users