Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locally Stored Profile

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeanvill

jeanvill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:54 AM

Hello Reader,

Using: Windows xp professional version2002 with service pack 2
intel pentium 4 2.20 GHz 512 mb of ram

The other night I was on my laptop computer and I decided to move it. I must have tripped the adapter, making the computer momentarily blink. It went back on and seemed fine. My laptop battery has been broken/ not holding charge since I got it. At this point, I think it froze or something which prompted me to restart the computer.
When it started up it checked for errors on the famous check error blue screen. At this point it started up and then two small windows came up. It said something to the sort of the "locally stored profile is not able to load, so we will make a TEMP profile". Or something like that.

Well everything looked okay but something didn't seem right I had less icons. Well all my documents and personal files and pictures are gone!!

I was able to use the net and I Googled "locally stored profile" and found some things try.

First I made a new user account and transferred the old accout to the new, Restarted and prayed.

So now everything looks fine but still no pictures and documents. Imagine loosing everything you had in house fire and you don't have pictures and documents. This is how I feel.

If I have forgotten any information that you need to know, please just ask me.

Please if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it,

jeanvill1
San Diego CA USA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

You mentioned "Transferred old account to new" what all folders did you copy from old account ?
You may copy the folders where you store your pictures and documents from your old profile.

Hello Reader,

Using: Windows xp professional version2002 with service pack 2
intel pentium 4 2.20 GHz 512 mb of ram

The other night I was on my laptop computer and I decided to move it. I must have tripped the adapter, making the computer momentarily blink. It went back on and seemed fine. My laptop battery has been broken/ not holding charge since I got it. At this point, I think it froze or something which prompted me to restart the computer.
When it started up it checked for errors on the famous check error blue screen. At this point it started up and then two small windows came up. It said something to the sort of the "locally stored profile is not able to load, so we will make a TEMP profile". Or something like that.

Well everything looked okay but something didn't seem right I had less icons. Well all my documents and personal files and pictures are gone!!

I was able to use the net and I Googled "locally stored profile" and found some things try.

First I made a new user account and transferred the old accout to the new, Restarted and prayed.

So now everything looks fine but still no pictures and documents. Imagine loosing everything you had in house fire and you don't have pictures and documents. This is how I feel.

If I have forgotten any information that you need to know, please just ask me.

Please if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it,

jeanvill1
San Diego CA USA

#3 jeanvill

jeanvill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for responding,

A window pop up asked if i wanted to keep files. Windows would automatically save files to the desktop.

Another thing, my harddrive is relatively the same with 8Gigs used, so my documents and pictures must be somewhere in there.

jeanvill1
san diego ca usa

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:34 PM

:thumbsup: to BC jeanvill,

I don't understand what you want to do. Are you trying to recover your profile or gain access to your documents or both?
XP loads and runs ok? Can you log on as an administrator? i.e. does your current user profile have administrator privileges?

If you do then start Windows Explorer (Start>all programs>accessories) in the LH pane click on your C: drive then on 'Documents and Settings' and under that you should see a list of users starting with Administrator. Each user will have a 'My Documents' folder and you should be able to find your data there. If you do back it up immediately to a USB flash drive or an external hard drive if possible. Note the user name its listed under.

Here is a link to a thorough article on recovering user profiles - http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22-5481772-1.html#
- once you have backed up your data you can follow the article from the "Using System Restore"
heading.

Let us know how you get on. :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 18 November 2005 - 07:22 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users