Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL account hijacked and sending false emails

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ltlane

ltlane

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

I created a email distribution list from my AOL account and some of the folks from the list are receiving the following email, sometimes several times in the same day. The list is legitimate, the subject line is legitimate but the message is not one that I sent nor does it show up in my sent file. How do I stop this from happening?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your email was unable reach the intended person that you were sending it to.
For more information on our business please click on the following link:
Click here for our website
We look forward to your continued business in the future.

Regards,
Webmaster

As background, please know that my PC had lots of viruses on it (including the unfixable virut virus) and just this week I had it erased and then reloaded with Windows XP operating system. I also installed the ESET NOD32 Antivirus program that runs constantly. I found out about the fake emails yesterday, came home changed my password to the account but this morning one of the folks on the distribution list told me they got 7 emails like the one above.

I could not find on AOL a way to fix or report this problem. I would appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hello,

Your e-mail address was likely compromised. There are only two possibilities of getting this fixed: 1) See if your e-mail provider will change your user name for you while keeping the account itself or 2) If they refuse, create a new e-mail account and close the present one.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users