Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run any programs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 trouble8

trouble8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

I'm hoping you guys can help me out and save me from having to do a complete re-install. I seem to have picked up a virus which prevents me from running any programs except internet explorer 64-bit.

Because of this I cannot follow the Preparation Guide before requesting help.

Microsoft Security Essentials loads on startup and a scan shows that there are no longer any problems, though initially (when this all began) it showed some viruses (obfuscator.xz, hiloti.gen!D, harnig). Obfuscator.xz seems to be the main culprit because it keeps returning (Security Essentials claims each time that it has been "quarantined").

I went into msconfig and it showed ....appdata/roaming/xuap/qeko.exe. I disabled it and that seems to have worked (it did not place itself back into autorun on startup). I navigated to the file location and there was nothing there.

I have tried the registry editor to make sure all .exe files are linked correctly.

Safe mode does not help.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Malware Response Team
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hi,

I apologise for the delay, the forum is very busy.

If you still require assistance please acknowledge this post and let myself know which exact 64 bit version of Windows your machine has, thank you.

#3 Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Malware Response Team
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending either myself or a member of the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users