Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating BIOS for eVGA X58 X3 SLI

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 superfoozer

superfoozer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has much experience with this.
I'm trying to get a 64 bit os installed on a virtual and my pc tells me I have to enable vt in the bios. Inorder for me to do this, I have to update the bios. I go to the EVGA site and get the latest version on an .iso, run the disc, change the setting in the bios. The pc restarts and now I have NO video. Nothing on either screen! Damn!!!
Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.
Thanks

W7 pro
EVGA x58 sli le
OCZ gold ddr3 ram
5750 radeon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

Does the computer appear to boot up but not display video (ie POST beep, hard drive activity, Windows startup sound), or is the computer failing to boot?

I think the first thing I would try is clearing the CMOS memory, either by removing the backup battery for a while, or using a jumper if one exists on the mainboard, maybe labelled something like CLR_CMOS.

Edit: There should be an external Clear CMOS button on the rear I/O panel. There are also 2 LEDs on the mainboard that show error codes if the board is failing to POST.

Edited by Platypus, 15 October 2010 - 06:55 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

Yes, it seems to boot. I get the single beep, like I should, just no video.
Would a bios update cook my video card?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

You could still try clearing the CMOS settings. I wouldn't expect the BIOS update to harm the video card itself, but a faulty BIOS update could harm the operation of the mainboard in some way that could affect the video.

Was there any explanation of why an update was required in order to enable VT?

#5 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

I don't remember exactly, but it had something to do with not having the VT option in bios without the update to the bios??? Something like that. The processer should not be an issue, i7 920 intel.
With no on board video to move to, I am not really sure how to start troubleshooting this. Maybe buy another card? That won't be my favorite idea! Plus, I am not sure that would even work...
AAARRrrgggg!

Good thing I have other ways of getting on the web!

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

If you clear the CMOS memory, and there is still no display at POST, but you hear the single POST success beep, then that is pointing towards the video card. You can confirm this best by borrowing a video card, or you could start by just removing the video card and booting up. Without a video card fitted, the POST beep should change to a "no video" pattern. That would confirm the video is at least being recognised. Also, removing and re-fitting the video card would eliminate a co-incidental bad contact or loose plug actually being the cause of the problem.

The onboard diagnostic LEDs could give you an indication too. You can download the manual for your mainboard from here:

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/

#7 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

I will start with resetting the bios with the jumper, it's a little more reliable than just removing the battery. While I'm in there, I will clean it out as well and reseat the video card.
I won't get to it until tomorrow.
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I will def try them out. Also, thanks for the link, I will certainly check it out.
I will post on here later tomorrow and let you know!

#8 superfoozer

superfoozer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

So I reset the bios and now I have video. As is seems to start booting, I get error: no operating system installed! AAAAHHHHhhh!!!!! WTH?? So, I checked the boot order, good. I have 3 hdd's that were in raid 5. Ah ha! I have to set the raid again!!! I am back up. Time to mess things up again! hehehe
Thanks for the replies and help, have a great night!

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:44 AM

Glad you got a result!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users