Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WPA2 Discovery/Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 classic22

classic22

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6-1334us Entertainment Notebook 64-bit with Windows 7. I recently set up a wireless router, which came with it two wireless networks one being a WPA1 and the other being WPA2. I have found and successfully connected to the WPA1. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the WPA2. Any suggestions on how I can find the WPA2 wireless network?

Thanks in advance,
classic22

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

WPA1 and WPA2 are not two separate networks. They are two different levels of encryption used to secure a single wireless network.

Both network devices, meaning the wireless device on your HP and the wireless router must support them to use them. In this case it sounds like the wireless card on your HP only supports WPA1.

#3 classic22

classic22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

Thanks ThunderZ for the quick response. Sorry I am not that technical hahaha. I know other people who have the exact same computer that have access to the WPA2 in my apartment. How do I check if my wireless card does or does not support WPA2?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

It should have given the opportunity to select it when you entered the key\password into your PC in order to have access to the wireless network. There was probably a drop-down menu of sorts that would have listed the type(s) of encryption available. If WPA2 is supported it will appear there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users