Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update On Power UP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gene Wilbourn

Gene Wilbourn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

Windows 7 x64 HP Palvillon dv6 series

When I powered up this evening, immediately more than 17,000 updates installed before windows launched. Don't know if it was windows or HP, it went real fast and I was trying to read the screen but it was flashing real fast as the updates installed.

Searched Microsoft and HP sites but didn't see anything about a large push out.

Has anyone seen anything like this? The laptop when on in and worked okay...

Thanks...

(also posted @ GeeksToGo)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

you sure it was 17,000? How long did the update take?

#3 Gene Wilbourn

Gene Wilbourn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

Yes, I am sure it was >17,000 - that's why I am inquiring about it. Someone on Geekstogo said it is a normal thing for Windows7 but we have had the laptop about 6 months and it is the first time my wife or I have seen anything like that. Have had, 'configuration updates, Step 3 of 3' on power up before but not this screen.
It only took less than 1 minute but sure got my attention....

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

You must have a monster of a machine if it will load 17000 updates in less than a minute. Mine did 22 the other day and it took over a minute.......

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 youthedog4

youthedog4

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

You must have a monster of a machine if it will load 17000 updates in less than a minute. Mine did 22 the other day and it took over a minute.......

He doesn't know it but he has a super computer.

#6 Gene Wilbourn

Gene Wilbourn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

What I under stand from the guy over @ GeeksToGo was not all were installed, just those needed from my specific model/OS, etc.

Wish it were a 'super computer' but just an ordinary Windows 7, HP laptop....

Guess no one has seen anything like this. I was wondering if it might have been something HP pushed out, who would know? Couldn't read the screen as it was flashing/changing so fast...

Thanks for all...

#7 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Have you checked the Microsoft Update history log.

Start, Control Panel, Windows Update, View Update History

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users