Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP gone again, flashing curser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 miniman1

miniman1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

Please i need help with my pc again,never has been working good from day one.

Working on my pc, ok, i thought, downloaded a programme,(cracked version with serial not patch,no virus detected) ''boilsoft video joiner'' all was working ok, did the job i wanted great, as the programme was installed and used, i attempted to delete the downloaded folder, but it wouldnt let me, kept flagging up denied as the programme was in use by something else, tried this twice, still in use by something else, then my pc restarted itself, and left me with a flashing curser in the top left corner of my screen, cant find 'safe mode' either, tried all the 'f' buttons.

Help please, ( i am working on my laptop)
A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miniman1

miniman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

Oh dear, surely its not that serious ?

54 views and no help

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

You downloaded an illegal software package and that rendered your computer unbootable? What would you consider serious if not that?

You should do a clean install of XP and be more careful next time, malware infectors are repacked often to fool AV scanners.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 miniman1

miniman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

You downloaded an illegal software package and that rendered your computer unbootable? What would you consider serious if not that?

You should do a clean install of XP and be more careful next time, malware infectors are repacked often to fool AV scanners.

Cheers i get your point, but i am assured its NOT the software package, i have it on two laptops, and my mates also have it installed with no problems.

#5 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

Its your own fault, you should have purchased a license.

#6 miniman1

miniman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Its your own fault, you should have purchased a license.

As i previously stated ''Cheers i get your point, but i am assured its NOT the software package, i have it on two laptops, and my mates also have it installed with no problems.''

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

If you have a system that's never worked properly since you acquired it...seems that RMA should have been the action taken.

System manufacturer and model?

My admiration goes out to someone who can download illegal software and swear that it's not the source of system problems.

As a followup to your assertion..just what is it that might be the source of your problems?

Typically...a flashing cursor on a black screen when attempting to boot...indicates a damaged MBR or some other problem the system has with hardware recognition/accountability.

Louis

#8 miniman1

miniman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Well i just finished and got it running again, no virus detected, the only problem is that now its up and running, none of the usb ports on the rear of the stack including the key board plug is working anymore, i am having to use the one remaining usb port on the front of the pc stack, with a usb plug type of keyboard, if that packs up i might as well pack up too.

I fixed the original problem by running the xp disk, and selecting the repair option and CHKDSK /r, but it took 3 identical runs to do it, just what is wrong with my pc ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users