Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Backup?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Boomyal

Boomyal

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

I thought my easy backup solution was found when I ran into XP Backup. It lets you choose exactly what you want to back up. I didn't follow it thru to the end but I'd heard that it lets you set up a regular proceedure that you don't have to set up everytime.

Here is the hitch. When I got to the part where you choose where to back up to, my H: drive (external USB drive)was not shown as an option. It did however list 4 usb drives that make up my card reader.

What do you suppose is going on here. The backup is useless to me without access to the external drive.

Are there other Backup programs that I can download that might not have that problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

Not sure what is happening here. If the drive shows up and can be accessed under my computer you should be able to back up to it no problem
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Boomyal

Boomyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

Not sure what is happening here. If the drive shows up and can be accessed under my computer you should be able to back up to it no problem

Hmmm! Sorry to hear that. It does show up in under 'my computer'. I manually copy and paste various folders to it all the time. That's why I was glad for the prospect of a program that I could pre-set and do it all with the push of a button.

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

Make sure it shows up in My Computer BEFORE you start the backup program. Some microsoft software isn't written well and so plugging in the USB device won't enumerate in all the software all the time unless you do it before it asks the operating system what devices there are.

#5 Boomyal

Boomyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

Make sure it shows up in My Computer BEFORE you start the backup program. Some microsoft software isn't written well and so plugging in the USB device won't enumerate in all the software all the time unless you do it before it asks the operating system what devices there are.

Thanks but it is plugged in continuously. I may try to start BackUp one more time to see if it does the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users