Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dont know where to get drivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Ive got a desktop, its a built laptop. Well couple of days ago my hard drive crashed. Went out got a new hard drive and loaded the XP. Problem is I dont have the drivers, and since its a built computer, I dont know where to get them from. Are the drivers related to the motherboard, I mean I dont even know where to look. The computer is an MSI brand I guess. It says MSI K7 mainboard on the front. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

"Ive got a desktop, its a built laptop"
Im confused. Is it a laptop or a desktop. It cant be both. I assume desktop as it was built.

Open the case and look for any identifying information on the motherboard such as a name brand and/or model number embossed on the board.

Does it have integrated video, sound, NIC etc or are there additional cards in the system? If cards take them out and check same for identifying information

With that info we can point you in the right direction for your drivers
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

eyesee

sorry for the confusion, it IS a desktop. It says MSI K7 mainboard. It has integrated audio and video. There is a NIC and there is a card. Ill get the name. However on device manager, there is under the yellow exclamation mark, several entries, audio, video, ethernet controller. And I have no idea how to get these drivers especially since the computer cant connect to the internet

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Did you get a CD with the machine?

If not, do not know your geographical location.

This is the MSI page for Europe. A good place to start if the location is correct. It offers several different ways to locate the proper drivers.

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

If you have network access on the machine, you can publish a speccy snapshot of the machine. I'd be happy to help you identify your mainboard with this information. Other options are to press pause during your BIOS startup (before windows starts), and see if you can find a BIOS version number, these oftentimes can be used to reference the proper board. Otherwise you can open the case and look for a model # on the board itself. It will be printed on the motherboard between the PCI slots. More information on mainboard identification can be found on MSI's website here.

#6 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

I got them from the msi sie finally. It wasnt readily apparent how to get them like it is on a dell website or gateway website.

thanks for all the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users