Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black window of death

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cheeky13

cheeky13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

Help... Removed AV8 from my win7 and now after booting back up and log in, i get a black screen of death, even in safe mode also. Im currently running malwarebytes scan, and hoping for something there. But in the process, needing any info possible. Using a toshiba satellite, running win7, and as i mentioned, safe mode and all i keep getting the black screen with a mouse pointer.... im absolutely stumped, and have a great buddy who is also stumped..... kinda lost at this point, maybe its a registry deal. Scared because its my work laptop and i have beyonds anyones imagination some important files. Well im done for now, trying to save the idea of me going over the same thing each sentence... looking forward to any help... confused, and scared ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 October 2010 - 10:18 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 singleshot62

singleshot62

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

I am working on this exact issue now, I just began the cleaning process and I will respond if I am able to resolve.

#3 singleshot62

singleshot62

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

I am working on this exact issue now, I just began the cleaning process and I will respond if I am able to resolve.

Wow still no luck, Just finished creating image of HD and I will be doing a windows 7 repair. This is one I haven't seen before, though I have fixed the AntiVirus8 rogue software before for other clients must be a new variation.
I will update when resolved, might want to pull your hard drive and backup your system in the meantime.

#4 singleshot62

singleshot62

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

Wow still no luck, Just finished creating image of HD and I will be doing a windows 7 repair. This is one I haven't seen before, though I have fixed the AntiVirus8 rogue software before for other clients must be a new variation.
I will update when resolved, might want to pull your hard drive and backup your system in the meantime.

Ok that was a pain in the %&$*.
this link describes pretty well how to fix this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...move-antivirus8
You will need to log in as 'Guest' to get a window, then click on the windows symbol in the right corner and right click and select properties, start menu tab>customize>check the box to display the run command, close window go to run command you will need to use admin password many time to run as, "ignore the constant popups to run av8 and click no" go to run command and type regedit delte any of these keys if they exist:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\A88246
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinFD or Win(any combination of 2 letters here)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "AV8"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform "WinNT-A8I 23.09.2010"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe "Debugger" = "C:\Program Files\AV8\av8.exe -d"
The you will be able to access windows explorer when this happens delete the following folders if they exist: (note: documents and settings do not exist in Win7)
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AV8\
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AV8\Antivirus8.lnk
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\AV8\Uninstall.lnk
C:\Program Files\AV8\
C:\Program Files\AV8\av8.exe
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Antivirus8.lnk

If this works restart your PC and start in safe mode with networking and download Malwarebytes install and clean system
Good Luck, I do this for a living and it ws a tough one.

#5 TCD01

TCD01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

You are a genius! Your suggestion worked perfectly. I tried every bootable AV program i have and nothing. So in Safe Mode i pulled up the task manager and went to run then regedit and followed your instructions. BTW how did you know which files to remove?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users