Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 Shut down after 1-2 minutes


  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 GB7

GB7

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Location:Southeast US
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

About 2 weeks ago I began having some issues with IE 8 (version 8.0.6001.18702) The problems began with when I entered a search term in the default search bar (upper right) and with Google being the primary search provider. An apparent google standard search page would be displayed in the browser window, but when I clicked on any link on that page, I was taken to a different site. The sites were random, but primarily a site wanting wanting to sell something.

If I went directly to Google's URL and opened a search page, entered the same search term, the displayed links would take me to the actual linked site.

I ran Spybot S&D, McAfee AV scan, virus defs were up to date, as were system updates (Windows XP Pro). I also checked all add ons, and deleted search providers and re-install search providers.

Nothing made a difference. Shortly afterward, a new problem appeared. The IE8 browser would open, seem to function fine (other than the search bar issue) and then shut down for no reason after 1-2 minutes. When checking on "more information" about the problem, I could never find the "log" file that was supposed to have been created in one of the Temp files. The temp files naming appeared to change with each instance.

My next atempt to correct was to run Uniblue Regitry Booster. It found a multitude of problems, I allowed it to fix them, but the IE 8 problem remained. After the next time I ran Uniblue, a few problems were found (and "fixed") but now the Safari browser that I was now using had the same 1-2 minute shutdown issue. So I installed the back up config. Safari is working fine, but still having the IE 8 issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users