Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Importing just 1 or 2 pictures from camera?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

How does one import just a few pictures from a digital camera, that has many more than that.
In XP it was real simple. All I had to do is to click on DESELECT all, and then just select the ones that I wanted. I can't belive that Microsoft would be that stupid to eliminate that feature in Windows 7. If they didn't eliminate it, they surely hid it well.

Recently I had to import all the pictures from my camera, over 300, just to get to the two I wanted. Has anyone else had that problem? And what's the solution?

Edited by Chris4835, 14 October 2010 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

When I plug-in the camera using USB cable, it opens up as three USB removable drives. I can find pictures on one of these and copy them to my computer. I do not know how are you doing it. I do not use Import Pictures wizard of Windows.

You may find this discussion useful : http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-...res-wizard.html

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

I don't use the Import Wizard either. I just browse for the files manually, and grab the ones I want by "copy and paste" or "drag and drop".
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the link Romeo29. So Microsoft indeed made importing pictures more complicated. Seems that with every new operating system, we are forced to buy, if we still want to use Windows, they change things around just to make things more complicated. No wonder so many people are still using XP.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

I have used the Photo Importation Wizard on Windows and I get to select what photos I do and do not want. I will try and get a screenshot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you do the second option in photo 1 it will import all your photos.

Edited by cryptodan, 15 October 2010 - 04:56 PM.

#6 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

CRYPTODAN you must be using another import wizard. Is it some kind of program that doesn't come with Windows 7? Because my Windows 7 wizard does not look like your screen shots at all.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

I used the Importing using Microsoft Live Photo Gallery Beta that comes with Windows Live Messenger Beta.

Try downloading the Beta and see if it works better for you.

Windows Live Essentials

Edited by cryptodan, 16 October 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

You could go to My Computer and open up the camera or the card, browse throught the photos, and use copy/paste to save the ones you want.

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

That's what I do Queen-Evie :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#10 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, like they said just browse for the files. Don't rely on wizards. They take too much of your time.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#11 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Thanks cryptodan for the info. and the link to Windows Live essentials, but I have not tried it yet. But I know one thing for sure, once you download the pictures whit the original wizard, you can never download any or all of them again. Because if I try I get the message: There are no new pictures on the device. That's just another bummer from Microsoft.

And thanks Jacee for your suggestion too. Because with it I can see all the pictures. Which are still in the camera. Thus a blatant lie from the wizard, or the person who actually designed the wizard in Windows 7.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Well you take a random picture and try it using Windows Live.

#13 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

Reading over all the replies, I should have thanked you Queen-Evie. Please accept my apology.

So while I was playing around with my pictures I noticed that Microsoft made the picture viewer less user friendly too. Plus they changed the Paint program too, for the worse, in my opinion. Now I'm sorry I spent all that money for the Widows 7 CD.

#14 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:09 AM

There's lots of free photo editing software Google Picasa , Windows Live Essentials , Gimp Open-Source Software to name a few.

Edited by sleepwalker, 25 October 2010 - 01:41 AM.

#15 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Sleepwalker. since you know about these other programs I assume you also know a lot about editing pictures. The only thing I am interested is, getting rid of the date, in some of the pictures. With paint I just painted over the date with a reasonable matching background color. but it's impossible to match the background exactly.

So I was wondering. do any of the other programs just sort of lift the date out? As if the date was never in the picture at all. I know I can set the camera not to print the date. But in most of my pictures I like to have the date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users