Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD-RW having difficulties with CD-ROMs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Well, my mother recently inherited my grandmothers computer, an Acer Aspire AST180-EA350M. She wanted me to install Create-A-Card Gold 2. I recommended that she use a newer version, but she insisted i install that. So i did. I inserted the disc into the DVD-RW drive and waited for the installer to appear. It never did. So i investigated, and found that windows was not recognizing the disc. No problem, i assumed it had something to do with the fact that the disc was intended for Windows 95. So i inserted the disc into our other computer, made a copy of the files on my flash drive, and installed the program that way. Well, then my mother said she didn't like the interface of the program, so i cinvinced her to install the version she was used to. A two-disc version of CreataCard Platinum 7. So i inserted the install disc into the drive, and the same thing happened. This perplexed me because although it said it was for Windows 98, it also said it was for Windows XP. So i decided to try other CD-roms, all from different years, none of them worked. The only CD-ROM that worked was a Windows XP Professional SP3 install disc i dug up. So now i don't know what to do. Another thing, all of the CD-ROMs i tried on this computer, i also tried on our other computer, a Dell Dimension 3000, they all worked. I hope the drive isn't bad. Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:
PC: Dell Dimension 3000 Acer Aspire AST180
------------------- --------------------
RAM: 256 MB RAM 1.25 GB RAM
Optical Drive: TSSTCorp CD-RW TS-H292B Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

hi ,you could try the fixit here ,but it does sound like a bad drive .
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

Thats what i was afraid of... thanks anyway.

#4 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

Another thing... when ever it can't read a disc, the harddrive light and CD-ROM light will blink twice simultaneously, three times, at an interval of three seconds per set of blinks. Coincidence? I don't think so.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:57 AM

Thats what i was afraid of... thanks anyway.

did you try the fix in my link above

#6 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

No. I didn't. But a funny thing happened this morning. I tried the CD one more time, and this time you could hear the drive spin up, and then the installer appeared. So i think it was having trouble spinning up, which makes me believe that it is the drive itself, such as a bad motor. Also, the reason i didn't try the fix is that my mother dosen't want me to download ANYTHING, regardless of what it is.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

Also, the reason i didn't try the fix is that my mother dosen't want me to download ANYTHING, regardless of what it is.

that's understandable , good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users