Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

customer wants NO PASSWORDS to log in

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adaniel

adaniel

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

The topic description explains my powsition on this, but I have a new account running SBS 2008. They want to be able to turn their PC's on in the morning and have them go to the desktop without having to enter user name or password. I know I can do that if they are logging on to the local machine, but is there a way to log on to the domain without a password? The application uses SQL Server, so I don't know if it will work logged in locally. I am going on site tomorrow to try to get this resolved.

I respectfully request no responses telling me what a BAD idea this is; I know that already. But it is the customer's machine and their data and their money to fix it if it gets hacked, so I am just trying to provide the service requested.

Thanks for any input.
adaniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

You can use control userpasswords2 to allow the above to happen.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

google

Is there a way to make SBS 2003 auto login? "control userpasswords2" doesn't have the option to disable the login requirement.

The hack I found involves editing the registry manually but you may already have gone there?

Edited by DaChew, 15 October 2010 - 08:38 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

Thanks, Chewy. Mine is 2008, not 2003, but I'll have a look and see if it applies. Thanks for your help.

adaniel

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

Have a read here How to Enable Autologon in Windows Server 2008 Workgroup Servers and Windows 7 Computers

You may also want to run ERUNT before making any changes to your registry.

#6 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:30 PM

Problem solved. Chewy's solution worked perfectly! I'll play with control userpasswords2 next week.

Thanks again.
adaniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users