Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - Cannot Boot Computer at all - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Doug_P

Doug_P

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hello,
I have a friends computer here. Its a Dell that was loaded with Vista OS. Her children were using it the other night, shut it down and since then, the PC wont load. She tried to reloaad the system using the Dell System restore CD, but when it rebooted, she got the BSOD. It keeps rebooting with the same error on the screen. We've tried Safe Mode in every fasion and Last Known Good Configuration, and nothing it working.

I tried pulling the HDD out and connecting with a USB adaptor to an XP Pro machine, but it crashes the XP box after it loads the device. So I cannot scan it for a virus. I tried to boot the machine using Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and get the same BSOD.

Here is what we see on the BSOD screen:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical info:
STOP: 0x00000050 (0x89200000, 0x00000000, 00x82283F33, 0x00000000)

I suspect that the PC is infected with a RootKit, but I cannot confirm this. I cannot get into the system, nor can I boot with UBCD for Windows to do any Memory, hard drive testing, or scanning for RootKits. If anyone has any advise, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :huh:

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

#3 Doug_P

Doug_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

The MemTest86+ CD booted and is running now. How long will this run w/ 1GB of Memory? I see at the top there is a "Pass" percentage, is this the over all progress of the first testing?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

I usually let it run about 3 times.

#5 Doug_P

Doug_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

Well, it passed with flying colors. No memory errors. There are two memory sticks in the PC. I've already tried to boot the PC with one stick of mem in it, then swapped to the other. And still getting the same thing.

What do you suggest next?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

We need to know more about your BSODs...

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)

No installation required.

Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program and When scanning is done, go to Edit > Select All.

Then go to File > Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

#7 Doug_P

Doug_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

I presume that this needs run from the OS that is in question. I cannot boot into the OS to download and run this utility. How can I run this on the dirve if I cannot get into the OS, not even in Safe Mode? I've tried many times to get the OS to load, no go.

#8 Doug_P

Doug_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

Does someone have a suggestion that I can use to boot with and run some scans on the hard drive, both for virus and hardware testing? Please?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

What kind of hard drive do you have?

#10 Doug_P

Doug_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:55 PM

The hard drive is SATA Western Digital. I have a tool/adaptor that connects to hard drives (EIDE, IDE, SATA) and allows me to connect it to another computer via USB.

This WD drive was loaded with Vista. Every time I connect this drive (via USB adaptor) to my Windows XP machine, it crashes my machine. So there is no way for me to even scan the hard drive as a slave from another machine. I've never ever had any troubles before using this adaptor. But then, I've never really tired to connect a Vista HDD to an XP machine. Is this common? Shouldn't I be able to use this adaptor for any drive to view its file structure?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

Go to http://www.wdc.com and download the data life guard tests.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:59 AM

You can run the long diagnostic...on the hard drive...regardless of whether the system boots or not.

Same principle as the Memtest diagnostic...create the bootable CD, run the diagnostic.

You can run the hard drive diagnostic from your troubled system, no need to connect it to another system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users