Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files downloaded w/ IE & Firefox disappear!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DonmeisterGeneral

DonmeisterGeneral

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

I've been having this problem for a while and its really starting to p*** me off!

When I click a download button/link on a website (e.g. for MS Office SP3), in IE 8 or Firefox 3.6.10, the download will start, progress bar shows file is downloading and the files icon appears in the designated download folder.

But when the download completes the file disappears from the folder, seemingly into thin air!

I've been to folder options and selected 'view hidden files and folders', i've looked in Temp Int files and used the search bar on the start-up menu.

I've been looking around for ways to fix this problem and not found one yet.
I have tried a number of things so far:
- Created a new profile in Firefox, No change
- Run Malwarebytes and removed infections, No change
- Run Check Disk for errors, No change
- Run Windows Update and installed everything, No change
- Unistalled and reinstalled firefox, no change
- Checked the permissions in McAfee Firewall
I've also tried things in command promt and within the brower folders themselves, but can never find the folders people are talking about.

Another added problem is that 'about:config' won't launch in Firefox, so I can't fix it that way!

Whats really annoying is that if you right-click on a picture in either browser and select 'save picture as', the pic will be saved onto the computer with no trouble!

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.6.10, McAfee Security Suite (latest version), Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46.

Can anyone PLEASE help with my problem.

Many thanks :huh:
'Freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds, which follows from the advance of science' - Charles Darwin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

Where do you have the save to location set to?

In IE it first downloads to a temp file, then once the file is completed it will then move it to where you save your downloads too.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

Also check to make sure McAfee isn't taking your downloads hostage. Look in the quarantine/virus chest. Your anti-virus will automatically scan every file you download at the end of the download sequence to make sure it is not malicious. McAfee is exceptionally obnoxious, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was quarantining your downloads for no good reason.

Try disabling McAfee while downloading something small, and see what happens.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 DonmeisterGeneral

DonmeisterGeneral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.

cryptodan, to answer your question my download folder is set to 'Downloads' (under favourites in Windows Explorer)

keyboardNinja, I checked the quarantine area of McAfee and none of the downloads I tried were there. How do you disable McAfee? I had a quick look but couldn't see a way to do it.

Cheers :huh:
'Freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds, which follows from the advance of science' - Charles Darwin

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

Set it to some other location like c:\downloads

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:29 PM

A good place for your download folder is your desktop.

#7 DonmeisterGeneral

DonmeisterGeneral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

I've tried those fixes already, and still nothing!

any other ideas?

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Well, there is a way to disable virus scanning of downloads without actually disabling McAfee.

Disable Virus Auto-check in Firefox 3

Please be sure you are downloading safe files. This virus check is put in for a reason and should only be disabled if you are confident you know what you are doing.

• Type about:config in the Firefox address bar and hit Enter
  • Type browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone
  • Set the parameter to False (double-click it)

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

If you remember the file name of any of the d\l`s have you tried a search using explorer?

#10 DonmeisterGeneral

DonmeisterGeneral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

about:config won't launch in firefox, i've tried uninstall and reinstall and it doesn't make a difference. I've also discovered I can't download PDFs.

I tried the explorer search before (with hidden files shown) and the search results are negative :huh: !

Any other ideas?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

Try creating another user account via User Accounts which can be located in Control Panel, and see if the issue is still present.

#12 DonmeisterGeneral

DonmeisterGeneral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

I activated the guest account and the problem was still there, then I created a new admin account and still had the problem!

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

Here is something simple you can try. Go to Start and type downloads, tick downloads and there should be all your downloads that have been completed. Look for your download and tick on it. Let us know what happens. If it is not there McAffe might of stopped it. Many people have problems with McAffe. Another choice would be removing McAffe and installing MSE.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

#14 DonmeisterGeneral

DonmeisterGeneral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

the thing is that this problem was around before I installed the new version of mcafee, which was alos a massive pain in the arse as I wasn't able to download the setup package, the guy from mcafee support managed to do it some how, but it was like 3am and I fell asleep when he did it, so frustratingly I didn't see his method!

I'm trying to avoid uninstalling mcafee as I have a free subscription that doesn't sun out for a while, and I don't want to be in the position where I uninstall it then find the problem persists.

Any more ideas? I'm about ready to throw me Laptop out the window!

#15 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

If it was my computer I would remove McAfee, reboot and install MSE and then reboot again.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
I think you will have less problems. McAfee is causing a problem so why use it under any condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users