Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm About To Go Officespace On This Piece Of....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mirvana

mirvana

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

I'll save the whole anger-venting thing for last. First, the problem(1), my PC specs(2) and what I've done so far(3).

(1)The PROBLEM: I am seriously pissed off. My computer is restarting randomly-well, maybe not randomly, it has a tendency to restart when I am running a full system scan in almost any anti-spyware program. I get stupid pop-ups when I am on the internet, even though I have Google toolbar popup blocker.

(2): Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2
Version 2002
512 MB RAM
2 40GB HDs (C:\ and D:\, respectfully.)
My C drive consists mostly of games, but recently I have been accoustomed to Torrents. So, I have some music as well.
My D drive consists mostly of music.
Whoopdee.

(3)What I've done so far:

Microsoft AntiSpyware (current def.)
Norton Internet Security (current def.)
Manually gone in System32\Windows and deleted spyware programs\trojans. (grrrr)
Started listening to angry rap music. (NWA)
System Restore.(sort of useful. still restarting, still getting stupid popups. not as much.)

Suggestions made that didn't work:

(1)Select the Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure. My reply to this- That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Now, to entertain myself even more, when my computer STILL restarts, I get a happy little blue screen telling me that my hard-earned PC has\is a failure. What a shot to the self esteem. And plus then I have to turn OFF the computer, so I guess the pc doesn't really restart. Because you know, you can't do anything when a blue screen pops up. And if you're running XP and a blue screen pops up, that's an insult.

Edited by mirvana, 17 November 2005 - 08:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:41 PM

.... it has a tendency to restart when I am running a full system scan in almost any anti-spyware program. I get stupid pop-ups when I am on the internet, even though I have Google toolbar popup blocker.
.... System Restore.(sort of useful. still restarting, still getting stupid popups. not as much.)

Sounds like you still have hidden spyware/malware on your system, that you weren't able to detect.
In addition to Microsoft AntiSpyware, you should also use these programs.
No one spyware program will detect everything, that's why it's a good idea to run several.
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Other useful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard

These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

If you are still having problems after running these programs, I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Edited by tg1911, 17 November 2005 - 08:52 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

Using P2P programs is about the fastest way to infect a computer with malware that I know.

The chances are you infected your computer yourself, and unless you are an expert at writing to the registry, the chances are you have caused problems in it when you "Manually gone in System32\Windows and deleted spyware programs\trojans".

My suggestion is if you have a restore point from before your malware infestation started use it, or in the absence of that, a complete format and reinstall of XP if you don't have one that will work.

#4 mirvana

mirvana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

Using P2P programs is about the fastest way to infect a computer with malware that I know.

The chances are you infected your computer yourself, and unless you are an expert at writing to the registry, the chances are you have caused problems in it when you "Manually gone in System32\Windows and deleted spyware programs\trojans".

My suggestion is if you have a restore point from before your malware infestation started use it, or in the absence of that, a complete format and reinstall of XP if you don't have one that will work.

I know registry commands\editing\del. what to look for. I have a nice guide somwhere on my work pc, I'll find it and upload it. or something.

tg191----I have been running multiple spyware programs, I have only listed the ones that work. Spybot is amazing, I think I've had it for about 7-8 months. BUT----I haven't been running it properly!!! Thank you SO MUCH for the tutorial!!!

I am now running multiple antivirus-spyware blah blah programs. Let's see if it works.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:27 PM

Good luck, mirvana.
Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:52 AM

Even if you know the registry, a little or somewhat well, ripping out (deleting) adware, spyware, trojans, viruses or any MALWARE will cause you many extra troubles! This is very different from registry tweaks. Unless you know A LOT about MALWARE and the hundreds of different ways they work, you will not be winning the war by using this method.

Use the tools of the trade (tq1911 lists them) and you will save yourself a lot of headaches. I do a lot in the registry and enjoy this type of gutting of malware for the education, but it is not for everyone. It adds several more steps to scrubbing a machine clean! It can be more like "dumping a can of ants out onto your carpet and searching for them, instead of keeping the lid on and tossing the can out!"

"Torrents" is more than likely where it all came from.

You should keep Microsoft AntSpyware beta, soon to be called Windows Defender (the new release). It will be updated in 3-5 weeks and will perform very well at "defending" your machine. Use it along with the others listed above. And if possible, purchase the Webroot Spy Sweeper trial, you will not regret it!

:thumbsup:

Edited by micaman, 19 November 2005 - 03:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users