Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Keep Windows XP Or Get Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mattytun1514

mattytun1514

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

My budget for the new computer is: £700-800 "laptop not pc"

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? mostly "online compitions email web browsing

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Nod32 antivirus-online armor firewall -cannon printer

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? dont play games

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? close once im done

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? yes i will be because ive bought a HD cam corder

ive posted some questions to your answers there is nothing wrong with this XP machine but im just wondering how long i should hold onto it because most people are going for Windows 7 i think..?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mattytun1514

mattytun1514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xZzD64MkeD3wKjnjRULE1SW

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Hold to windows XP until Microsoft stops supporting and releasing updates for windows xp then you would migrate to windows 7.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

Windows XP (= X Patches) is valid until 8 April 2014 and then you can think about Windows 7 or 8 or 9.

Windows 7 is faster, that's not good, because the malware will be faster too. ;)

Edited by ErikAlbert, 14 October 2010 - 10:57 AM.

ErikAlbert - "Simplicity is always brilliant" - "Every software sucks, some suck more than others."
WinXPproSP3 + Comodo Firewall + FirstDefense-ISR + Anti-Executable + Sandboxie + ShadowProtect - no scanners, no cleaners.
I remove superfluous and evil objects, not because they are there, but because they weren't there.

#5 mattytun1514

mattytun1514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for helping ..........................nice to see there is life in XP yet ..............................my laptop is all upto date with patches etc... :blink:

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

unless you do a lot of gaming, or XP simply isnt doing it for you, I would stick with XP until you absolutly have to. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 pspuria81

pspuria81

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

i agree with Patriot09 here on this one, i still run xp/xp64 on 2 of my desktops, my laptop runs win 7

Cheers!

www.theinformativemonkey.tk

Cheers! :D

IT Guru

Homepage

#8 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

Do yourself a favor, get off the Microsoft tread mill entirely. Wipe your disk and install a Linnux Ubuntu system and learn to use it. Microsoft builds the worst operating systems and they are never complete...always with the "update patches" which are necessary only because they sold the software before it was fully ready in the first place.

Or, better yet, buy an Apple computer.

#9 pspuria81

pspuria81

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

Do yourself a favor, get off the Microsoft tread mill entirely. Wipe your disk and install a Linnux Ubuntu system and learn to use it. Microsoft builds the worst operating systems and they are never complete...always with the "update patches" which are necessary only because they sold the software before it was fully ready in the first place.

Or, better yet, buy an Apple computer.

id like to see some one run ubuntu and play a game like starcraft, warcraft, crossfire, or WOW on it with out any issues, i do agree in getting rid of microsoft completely however its the only system that will run games, apple on the otherhand is just a compatibility issue if the game can support it or not

Cheers! :D

IT Guru

Homepage

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

You can run WoW and starcraft and such on ubuntu using emulators, or windows inside a virtual box, though it can be a pain sometimes. For the argument of windows never being complete, hate to break it to you, ubuntu, or any other good linux distro are constantly updated as well-they release new versions quite regularly and even release updates for that version. Nothing wrong with updates, especially if they fix bugs, even linux OSes have bugs. I tend to agree, linux is far superior to windows in nearly every case, but its not perfect-the main difference is Linux released the source code so that you can legally go in and fix them yourself.

On the other note, while you CAN get games like star craft to run on ubuntu or other linux distros, its takes a bit of work and experience with the linux OS to be able to do it, if your unfamiliar with Linux this is not a good choice as a primary os-perhaps something to experiment (dual boot and what not) and using windows is not a bad choice, especially if your a gamer. Like I said I like linux, but each thing has its own purpose-out of 4 computers in my house, only 1 uses linux, one uses xp, and the other 2 windows 7. Each computer has a different role. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#11 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

The original question was whether or not to migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7 and I would vote for staying with XP until all the bugs are worked out of Windows 7 - and there will be plenty of problems based on past Windows releases.

Testing fuctionality of new releases is not a high priority when under a strict release deadline not to mention that it costs money. So why not code it, let the coders test their own code which is not a good thing to do, and release it so the general public can test it for you? This may not be the most ethical thing to do but it saves money and has been done by major corporations for decades.

Sticking with XP for a few more years may save you some major headaches.
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

<<...and I would vote for staying with XP until all the bugs are worked out of Windows 7...>>

Hmmm...were the "bugs" ever worked out fully...for any version of Windows? I don't think so, since bugs and the O/S change over time, due to more features, more malware considerations, etc.

XP has been around for ten years now...and many users still think that "the bugs" need to be worked out because they don't seem to understand that life is an evolution...not something that ever hits "final form".

XP has been good...IMO, Win 7 is better. XP has been used long enough, it's time to move on with the evolution.

Yesterday was good...yesterday. The future will be based on yesterday, but it will evolve based on what we've learned from...yesterday.

Computing is a dynamic enterprise, to pretend otherwise will probably lead to many disappointments and frustrating scenarios, IMO.

Louis

#13 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:06 AM

[EDIT]
Yes. Get Windows 7. It will run just as well as XP on your hardware.

Edited by RainbowSix, 17 November 2010 - 02:47 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

I do believe that this topic is off topic, it was to offer advice-not bash windows, mac or linux, they all have their ups and downs and everyone has their preferences-a continuous verbal assault on each will do little good here other then cause confusion and perhaps offend people who have a preference one way or the other. I think if you have a preference for one over the other, you should state why you think that particular choice is good and why-but no need to insult other choices.

picard5.jpg

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

I think The_Patriot09 has got it right, this has gone off topic !

The question was 'Keep XP or invest in Windows 7'.

From personal experience, both are good stable operating systems with support into the reasonable future. If money is the problem, and you have a legitimate copy of XP that can be installed, then for the time being stick with XP. If money is less of a problem, then switch to Windows 7. It is currently available in the UK from about £ 70 up, 100 $US or thereabouts.

I think we sometimes forget how much training is involved in learning to use an operating system. After you have used, for example, Windows for 15 years you begin to realise how it works and what can go wrong with it, and how to fix it. And all this time you were getting trained ! Switching to a completely different operating system without a compelling reason puts you right back to the beginning, except for a general understanding of how computers work.

And if I remember the beginning of this thread correctly, it was about the purchase of a laptop. Not impossible but more difficult to buy one now without Windows 7 on it.

Regards

Chris Cosgrove B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users