Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Baffling computer problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Llanlad

Llanlad

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hi all

Not sure what the hell is going on .. so i shall ask for assistance .

Yesterday morning ... i went to work and the computer i use just would not come on .

It seemed to boot up ok, but the monitor looked like it was in power safe mode or something... the Dell monitor green light would come one and instantly go back to orange.

I thought that there was something wrong with the tower so i took it home and linked in upto my lads monitor ... low and behold, it worked

So i thought it must be the monitor, so i took that home with me ... and that worked fine also.

So i bring it back to work today ... and the same problem persists !

So i go home and bring my lads monitor and key board to work ....and his monitor does the same thing at work !

Im thinking ?? how can a computer work fine in one location and not in another ?

Ive tried different plug locations, alternative cables etc , a different room even and still the work or my home monitor wont work at work.

Ive just brought it home again ..and boom loads up as normal.

Im using Windows XP on both.

Im baffled ..any ideas ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

Maybe graphics driver

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Edited by killerx525, 14 October 2010 - 09:20 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Llanlad

Llanlad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the reply killerx ..

The computer in question does not have interenet at work so ill have to bring it home and set it up on my home internet ..

If its the graphics driver ... im curious as to how it would work in one location ( my house ) and not at work ?

Im using the same cables etc, it baffles me how a graphics driver can work in one place and not another.

Thanks

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

Check to make certain your graphics card is seated well. Sometimes they can pop in and out enough durring transport that it will work fine, then not work, then work again, etc.

Also, check you video cable, bending and moving it the entire length. If you have a break in a line or solder connection in it, it can do this.

Edited by Gabrial, 14 October 2010 - 11:36 AM.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Im thinking ?? how can a computer work fine in one location and not in another ?

I had a similar problem, it was a bad power cable coupled with a marginal electrical circuit, I verified by running an extension cord from another circuit. Mostly due to worn or dirty connectors.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users