Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 czar1944

czar1944

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:13 AM

HI all
i have a strange problem when ever i try to open any program i get a pop up windows installer service is trying to load .. i have tried many steps available online ...to
i started with 1 start run netstart msiserver enter NO go
2 msiserver /unregister and reregister again ...NO go
3 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
exported desktop and stopped the service for windows installer in service.msc and restarted and then imported the registery reg file from desktop sucessfully NO go

4 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver]
"Start"=dword:00000002
(((( Start"=dword:00000002 ))) and dword was set to 2 ...

5 went to msconfig and unchecked windows installer service and restarted and no go ..
6 downloaded windowsinstaller distributable and installed it but still no go ..
7 regsvr32 msi.dll enter NO GO

tried to find ms hotfix and couldnt find it

i was able to fix the problem in vista 64 bit by following step 3 but dint happend in xp 32 and windows 7 64 bit

in event viewer there is not program referd which was causing problem and also i have office 2007 which is working perfectly fine

whne i uninstall ms2007office and try to load program Quickbooks still same issue also i tried to repair Quikbook NO go

ANY SON OF A GUN :thumbsup: born who can
Find a fix ...i have 2 comp windows 7 64 and xp 32 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Does this happen with every program? Try to launch Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

#3 Wasisnt

Wasisnt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

If you knew what program was causing the problem you could use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove the reference but Im not sure if it will help in your case or not.

EDIT: Spam link removed from post ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2010 - 12:17 PM.

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

It could also be some kind of partially installed malware infection, with an explorer extention for .exe or something calling a .msi installed piece of software that's no longer complete.

Try Start -> Run... and type the following:

cmd.exe

then again with:

command.com

do both of these start the msi installer?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

Do you get any associated error numbers?

#6 czar1944

czar1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

thanks for replying Guys ..
i tried command promt i gt no wrror but it is happening with all the programmes when i open Quickbooks it comes when i open wireshark it comes .. its not a virus or trojan coz i have scanned and it dsnt shows any infection...
i noticed i thing tht in my windows 7 64 bit registry i dont have HKEY_CurrentControlSet in LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ ideally what we get are 3 currrent controlsets i noticed it when i was trying a futile step HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
exported desktop and stopped the service for windows installer in service.msc and restarted and then imported the registery reg file from desktop sucessfully NO go

Please Help ...

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

Try running this: Temp FIle Cleaner and see if its trying to run from a temp file that is wanting to install. It is a safe program.

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

What does the installer service do when it's loading?

Does it happen when you go directly to the program directory and double click on the executable file, or just when you click on a .lnk shortcut?

Wireshark and Quickbooks are both MSI installs, if I'm not mistaken.

Navigate to your wireshark folder in windows explorer and double click the wireshark executable inside it, do you still get the MSI coming up?

#9 czar1944

czar1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

HI Gabrial

on windows Xp comp32 bit it says windows installer serice cannot be accessed .. on windows 7 64 bit it says windows installer service is trying to load.

this happens when i try to open apen any software from desktop shortcut

and what are msi install programs are there programms which dsnt use msi files to install .. i guess all programms we install are msi install.. are they not ...all of them windows installer service coz we can see them in add and remove progs ,, please correct me if i am wrong

thanks Gabriel for post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users