Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WordPad wants to print reams of paper

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Raccoonnookkeeper

Raccoonnookkeeper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:56 AM

Hello:

I am running Windows 2000 pro, with all service packs installed, including the final service pack that was issued in place of the service pack 5 that was canceled.

The problem is fairly easy to describe:
- I open WordPad, type a single space, then use the File pull-down menu to print a blank piece of paper.
- The Print dialog box, pages entry has 1-65535 in it. If I go ahead and click on the Print button, I would need more than 13 cases of paper for the job to complete!

This is a new phenomenon, as I have used this technique for quite some time to ensure proper connection to the printer and that other programs will be likely to print correctly and never have had the printer spit-out more than one sheet of paper.

I can highlight the "1-65535" value and delete it, which will allow me to print the one blank page I want, but I shouldn't have to do that extra step (and the print dialogue box should not show anything in the "pages" box). I would like to know if perhaps something in the configuration files for WordPad causes this to happen and, if so, what it is, where it is, and how can I change it to get things back to normal.

I did run Avast!, Spybot, SuperAntoSpyware, and the free Trend Micro scan to see if there might be some malware that contributes to the problem. Nothing was found.

Since I run Win2K on of my other computers, I thought a simple approach would be to locate WordPad and its associated files on one of the other computers and simply copy them over the corresponding files on this one. I haven't tried it, yet, because I am curious as to what the cause and cure might be for this problem.

Further information: none of my other programs, such as NotePad or EditPad Lite, or Word or WordPerfect exhibits this behavior - likewise, none of the other programs I use that print reports have this problem.

Thanks for taking the time to read about the problem and, in advance, for any assistance you may offer.

Raccoonnookkeeper

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users