Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 instances of XP,in 1 Comp!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newagedavey11

newagedavey11

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hello and thank you for your time,
First off,kudos to dc3 for thier knowledge,and willingness to share it! New subject. Awhile back computer was used to charge Ipod, while in welcome screen. By the time I got home my brand new ATI Sapphire AGP video card got so hot, the plastic fan housing melted off the screws that held it to Video card. All I saw (or did,nt see) was black screen.several weeks and numerous unsuccessful attempts, to get it to do amything, I tried to install another legal copy of Windows XP.which resulted in same black screen.Long story short, finally figured out AGP slot had burned out.(Still is)!
Got new card installed in PCI slot,end of that problem.
New Problem! When I boot,besides Recovery Console I have option to boot to (2) Windows XP. Each one boots up fine, one to my original version of XP, the other to my (installed when I had no Video) version!
In both Windows, in C: drive I have a "WINDOWS/O" and A "WINDOWS". Every thing pretty much works fine. There were a lot of things, programs and problems,I had to deal with but Comp,runs good.I need to resolve problem. Should I buy new copy of XP? and start over? I would like to save a few things, but a clean install would not kill me.I have a new 120GB HDD, Which i can install correctly, (Thanks to dc3). Please advise.

Specs:
IBM clone which I put together myself in 2006
D865perl MOBO
2 HDD's
2 GB DDR 2 RAM
Any more Info needed please ask.Thanking you in advance.
NewageDave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

You want to do a clean install? If you can boot into windows, and have a second hard drive, you can always just copy the data you need to keep to that hard drive, then format and install windows on your current system drive, or you can install the new hard drive as the primary drive and format and install windows on it with your current system drive disconnected, then reconnect your current drive and copy data to your new system drive.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:38 AM

One other option would be to just let the two operating system stay there and choose one of them as the default.

Right click My Computer> Properties> Advanced tab> Startup and Recovery> Settings. In the Settings you can choose which operating system you wish to be the default. This will allow you to boot from that operating system without having to choose between the two any more.

Edited by dc3, 14 October 2010 - 04:39 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 newagedavey11

newagedavey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

Thank you both for the input, I will try your idea dc3, to start off with. I failed to mention that, although there is about a GB of info I wish to save, there is 119GB I want to dump. I have 120GB of storage, and with a potential of an additional 120GB, I like the idea of Installing my default OS onto my new HDD,saving what I want, then disconnecting my old HDD,s Booting to my new one, then, should I re-connect my old ones so i could wipe and partition them?
A quick note to dc3, my dream place to live would be by Lake Topaz. Nevada or California side.
Thank you both for your time and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users