Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe gone + infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Semaan

Patrick Semaan

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:22 AM

Hello,
I have downloaded a program from a torrent and when I clicked on INSTALL my PC froze and I started getting notices from Norton that it detected a Supicious.Mystic and that it took care of it. However the PC was still frozen so I restarted and of course, only to find that my desktop is blank with nothing I can run but TaskManager.

I ran a full scan using Norton and it detected nothing (I can see multiple Explorer.exe in the quanrentine) I also ran a scan using MalwareBytes.com software, it did detect 2 infections and fixed them. I also read online about ComboFix and tried it, it did ask for Recovery Consol which I installed from the Windows CD but ComboFix did say that it needed to update it using the internet but problem is, I have lost internet connection now and I can't run Control Panel as it gives me the Explorer.exe error.

So i continued ahead with the scan and it finished and restarted on its own, but no luck with anything, sill left with a blank desktop. I though now I could try the SFC /scanow from task manager (I say try again because previously when I do that, at some point in the scan it gives me a blue screen and I have to shut down). So I have just ran a new SFC scan and it went fine. Restarted and desktop is still empty and explorer.exe is still missing.

Any help on that would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:22 AM

Sounds like ya dun goofed. :thumbsup: Try the sfc /scannow from "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".

If that doesn't do it for you you may need to copy your explorer.exe from a copy on the hard drive, on another computer with the same service pack, or extract it from a service pack.

Search for a copy on your C:\ drive by typing:

dir /s /a c:\explorer.ex?

this should show you a list of everywhere on your drive you have the file. If it is explorer.ex_, you will need to:

expand [sourcepath]\explorer.ex_ c:\windows\explorer.exe

otherwise, just copy it:

copy [sourcepath]\explorer.exe c:\windows\explorer.exe

Edited by Gabrial, 14 October 2010 - 02:30 AM.

#3 Patrick Semaan

Patrick Semaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Hi thanks for the reply.
But I cannot start in Safe Mode, it loads the same blank desktop. I see the Safe Mode message on top of the screen but no icons nothing as well....

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Try "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". This will load cmd.exe as your shell instead of explorer.exe.

#5 Patrick Semaan

Patrick Semaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hey I got a copy of explorer.exe from an XP (SP3) PC as you suggested. I copied it onto a USB and pasted it on my computer using Task Manager and as soon as I ran it, everything appeared and ComboFix finished the scan and gave a log file. Ran a full scan and all is good now.

Thanks for the support! ;)

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Combofix Usage and Guidance

Combofix is not supposed to be used as the one stop shop tool for anti-malware removal. It is a very powerful tool, and can render your computer inoperable if ran without the direct and close supervision of a Malware Removal Team member.

Who instructed you to run Combofix?

#7 Patrick Semaan

Patrick Semaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

Um, I saw a topic here by a user who had a similar problem. But he / she had to paste their log fines because it would not work from the first time.
For me all is working fine now. But does any one need to take a look at the log file or is their something more I need to do now?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Patrick Semaan

Patrick Semaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

Every time I run GMER, few seconds later while I configure it as on the tutorial, the program responds very slowly and my computer starts to become very slow too until it just stops responding, and then I cant even hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to stop whats running. And I have not hit SCAN yet.

What is going on?

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Skip GMER. Please make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic along with the DDS logs which I presume you were able to create. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them. Explain what happens when you try to run GMER.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic354084.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users