Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What To Delete?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cj500

cj500

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:50 PM

I am doing some housekeeping through 'answers that work', at one point it says :

" delete all files in your C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder, but do not delete any subdirectories"

I'm not sure what to delete and what to leave in this folder, what are subdirectories, can anyone help, cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:10 PM

Generally anything in the temp folder that is not today's date should be safe to delete. If you want to be safe, copy the files you are worried about to another location, empty the temp folder and if after a few dates no program asks for the files you copied to another location, you can delete the copies.

#3 cj500

cj500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

Thanks, will do

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

A directory is another name for a folder.
So it's basically telling you to delete anything in this folder, except for other folders.
Files are OK to delete.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:58 PM

A good set of general rules for deleting stuff (of any kind) is to:
1) Move (don't delete) only a few places at any one time (so you can remember what you've done)
2) Don't delete anything - just move it to another folder in another place. Leave it there for a week or two - then delete it to the Recycle Bin.
3) Don't empty your Recycle Bin - let it empty itself. This way the files will be around if you need them later on (until they're finally deleted from the Bin).

This way you've got a cushion - just in case something goes wrong - then you can move them back and all will be well!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users