Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer types "v"s on its own

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayCanney

JayCanney

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

Referred to this forum from the previous thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic351005.html

My laptop has gone into a strange habit of repeatedly typing the "v" key on its own. (like if I run Notepad it types vvvvvvv ) I looked under the v key and removed what dust was there, but the "vs" continue. This happens when I am not pressing any key on the keyboard. Reinstalling the keyboard driver does not cause the problem to go away.

If I plug a regular keyboard into the computer and use that, the "v"s do not happen.

Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work
When I go to Advanced User Accounts (as instructed by the Dell Help feature) to check the ctrl-alt-del at login box (this forces the user to press ctrl-alt-del at login)
As I check the box...
I got a window from usrmgr (Local Users and Groups)

The window says:
"This computer is running Windows VistaHome Basic
This Snapin may not be used with this version of Windows
To manage accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel."
Computer becomes very sluggish

When I try to close the window it talks about MMC being unable to open, how it failed to create an empty document. I'm trying to figure out another way to check the ctrl-alt-del box...
----
The moderator in the malware forum believes that this is likely a hardware problem.

If you want I can provide the service tag.

Edited by JayCanney, 13 October 2010 - 11:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

Sounds like your keyboard is damaged. The fact that the behavior doesn't replicate when using an external keyboard all but confirms that hypothesis. You should be able to order a replacement keyboard from your manufacturer via their website.

As for your other problems. . . the cause could vary but it would be best to eliminate the problems that we can solve immediately, and then proceed with troubleshooting.

On a thought, does Ctrl Shift Esc do anything? Particularly on the external keyboard.

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 JayCanney

JayCanney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

Hey I didn't know about that! It brings up the task manager, and it works using the built in laptop keyboard.

I'll do one more test to confirm that the "v"s don't happen with the keyboard at all, then I'll have to think about what to do next...

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2010 - 10:32 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote ~ Hamluis.

#4 Chris_Pool

Chris_Pool

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:15 AM

Is it possible that debris or some foreign matter could repeat the key? Get a can of compressed air and see if that has any effect.

#5 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

Is it possible that debris or some foreign matter could repeat the key? Get a can of compressed air and see if that has any effect.

well he stated that he even took the v key off and cleaned under it.

The keyboard is most likely damaged to a degree that you cannot do anything about it. A replacement seems to be the only option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users