Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto schedule shutdown and restart after 8 hours

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FutureZone

FutureZone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know any tips on writing batch file or 3rd party freeware for auto shcedule to shutdown at night and restart at morning?

Because the office building is very often having main power maintenance and all PCs and servers are required to shutdown at odd hours in the night.

What I have done so far was @ECHO OFF shutdown.exe -r -t and it was only shutdown and restart straight away. What I wanted was shutdown at 23:00PM and

restart at 07:30AM next morning. Is it possible?

Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

You can use the Task Scheduler in Windows (or cron in Linux and Mac OS) to have a command executed at a certain time each day.

Simply set the Run: parameter to something like this:
shutdown /s /t 15 /c "Shutting Down!" /f

There isn't, to my knowledge, any way to cause the computer to start itself unless such functionality is supported in the BIOS setup. Some computers' BIOS have options to turn the computer on at a certain time, though this option is relatively rare. Another, more common, BIOS option is "Wake on LAN." Wak on LAN allows the computer to be started up by sending it a special signal over it's ethernet connection, though this requires another computer on the LAN to already be up and running from which to send this signal.

Edited by Andrew, 14 October 2010 - 12:31 PM.

#3 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

I found a cute little tool that does that,shuts my computer down at a pre-defined time.
It's called Auto-Off,by Little Earth Solutions. It's a tiny program and very simply does the job.

#4 shadowsai

shadowsai

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to have your system startup without using BIOS settings. Having it shutdown is an easy matter however. Try the below batch file:
@echo off 
title Time2ShutDown
echo Enter Time You Want Your Computer to Turn Off (Use 24 hr format, eg. 21:35) 
set /p stime= 
cls 
at %stime% ""shutdown -s -t 00"" >nul 
echo Your computer Will Auto Shutdown At %stime% 
echo Press Any Key To Exit 
pause >nul 
exit

Just select all that and save it as a batch file. No need for changes necessary.
shadowsai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users