Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Vista from partition

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Memimi

Memimi

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

My little brother gave me his old laptop to try and fix up to work a bit better. First thing I noticed is that the hard drive is partitioned with Windows Vista on both. But if I try to start up the second instance of Vista, it won't start. Seems like it is missing files or something... not sure. How can I remove the second instance to make use of the rest of my hard drive space?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:31 AM

You can boot up in the working instance go to Disk Management via Administrative Tools in Control Panel then right click on the offending partition and hit format.

#3 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

No volumes are listed under my disk management.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

Can you take a screenshot of Disk Management?

Should look like this:

Posted Image

#5 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

Sure, here it is.

Posted Image

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

Pardon me interupting but this appears to be a rootkit infection.. I would like you to run this...

Please read carefully and follow these steps.
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract its contents to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the desktop.
  • Go to Start > Run (Or you can hold down your Windows key and press R) and copy and paste the following into the text field. (make sure you include the quote marks) Then press OK. (If Vista, click on the Vista Orb and copy and paste the following into the Search field. (make sure you include the quotation marks) Then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.)

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l C:\TDSSKiller.txt -v

• If it says "Hidden service detected" DO NOT type anything in. Just press Enter on your keyboard to not do anything to the file.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Allow it to do so.
  • When it is done, a log file should be created on your C: drive called "TDSSKiller.txt" please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

I got an error.

'Valid command line parameters"

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

Is that the complete an accurate error message?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Valid command parameters:

-l <file_name> (path to log file)
-qpath <folder_name> (path to quarantine folder)
-qall (copy all objects to quarantine)
-qsus (copy all suspicious objects to quarantine)
-qmbr (copy all mbr to quarantine)
-qcsvc <service_name> (copy service to quarantine)
-qcsvc <service_name> (delete service)

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

Hello again, It appears we need a deeper look to solve this issue. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

I noticed that you currently have an open thread in the Malware Removal Logs forum, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic351532.html. That thread was opened 4 Oct and doesn't seem to be complete.

Are you inquiring about the same system? I'm not sure what happened with that thread, but it seems incomplete to me.

Louis

#12 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

They are two separate computers but ya, the other thread is incomplete at this time. I suppose I'll have to put together a threat for the second computer as well.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

Thanks, just wanted to clarify :huh:.

Louis

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Ok, I was informed of an update to my previous instruction.. try this.
TDDS Killer
Please read carefully and follow these steps.
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract its contents to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the desktop.
  • Go to Start > Run (Or you can hold down your Windows key and press R) and copy and paste the following into the text field. (make sure you include the quote marks) Then press OK. (If Vista, click on the Vista Orb and copy and paste the following into the Search field. (make sure you include the quotation marks) Then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.)

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l C:\TDSSKiller.txt

• If it says "Hidden service detected" DO NOT type anything in. Just press Enter on your keyboard to not do anything to the file.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Allow it to do so.
  • When it is done, a log file should be created on your C: drive called "TDSSKiller.txt" please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users