Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Babylon Translator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paulywalnuts

paulywalnuts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

In a nutshell, installed Babylon translator in order to communicate more clearly via email to Spanish speaking world-unfortunately, clicked onto Mozilla browser afterward only to find that Babylon had become my home page. I uninstalled Babylon via Revo Uninstaller, uninstalled Mozilla Firefox and reinstalled it hoping that this would remedy my "problem". No such luck. Babylon still popping up and I am dumbfounded. Is this company legit?-according to Wikipedia, Microsoft once considered this download intrusive-malware like. How do I rid myself of this @#$#. I do not know the motivation of the developers of this software, but I ain't getting good vibes. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

Was there a reason you used Revo instead of the add\remove offered in Win7?

Lets see if this gets your desired home page back. Navigate to the page you want. Then go to Tools > Options > General. Select Use current page.

#3 paulywalnuts

paulywalnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for reply. I used Revo thinking that it would remove a bunch of stuff that Win add/remove would not.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Revo is often suggested here. Not a bad program but usually only used as an alternative if the Add\Remove feature fails.

Were you able to reset your home page using the suggested instructions?

One suggestion when installing any program. Do not become click happy. Many programs now come bundled with other software\options that will install but are not needed. Theses can include browser add-ons, searchbars, etc. Also changing your home page, as you discovered.

I have heard of Babylon translator but have no experience with it. An option to change you homepage may have been included when it was installed. It is possible that you clicked right through it.

#5 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

I installed Babylon Translator (BT) also after reading this topic and my Firefox (FF) was also modified.
To get rid of BT, is alot easier for me : one reboot and BT is gone without a trace and FF is back to normal. :huh:
ErikAlbert - "Simplicity is always brilliant" - "Every software sucks, some suck more than others."
WinXPproSP3 + Comodo Firewall + FirstDefense-ISR + Anti-Executable + Sandboxie + ShadowProtect - no scanners, no cleaners.
I remove superfluous and evil objects, not because they are there, but because they weren't there.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

Glad it worked out for you ErikAlbert. But your information is hardly useful in this instance since the OP already has a problem.

Did you by chance take note during the install if the option was presented to change the homepage?

#7 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

Glad it worked out for you ErikAlbert. But your information is hardly useful in this instance since the OP already has a problem.

Did you by chance take note during the install if the option was presented to change the homepage?

There were 2 options : I took the second one, which modified FF.
I didn't try the 1st option, but if you want me too, I will do it.
I can re-install and uninstall BT forever, BT will never hurt my system.
ErikAlbert - "Simplicity is always brilliant" - "Every software sucks, some suck more than others."
WinXPproSP3 + Comodo Firewall + FirstDefense-ISR + Anti-Executable + Sandboxie + ShadowProtect - no scanners, no cleaners.
I remove superfluous and evil objects, not because they are there, but because they weren't there.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

No need to.

Just need to hear from the OP now and see if they were able to revert their homepage.

But what you said does seem to verify that the change was offered and we have a simple case of "click happy" occurring.

#9 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

During the installation, you have 2 options :

1. Quick installation (default)
Install Babylon at default folder, including: Babylon's Toolbar, Make Babylon my default search provider and homepage on my browsers. Add icon to my desktop and quick launch button.

2. Custom installation (custom)
_ Add desktop and quick launch icons
_ Make Babylon my default search engine
_ Make Babylon Search my homepage on my browsers
_ Install Babylon toolbar

The OP most probably took the first option (default)
If he had chosen the second option he had the free choice to install it or not.

#10 paulywalnuts

paulywalnuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

I was able to restore home page with instructions offered. Indeed I probably installed this program in a hurry, I do not remember install options mentioned above, but I don't doubt they are there.
I'm not sure what kind of behavior BT was exhibiting to get flagged as malware by Microsoft, but apparently some changes have been made by BT and is no longer considered malware. Lots of good tips in Mozilla support for removing BT.
Thanks again for the input.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Many software are flagged as malware = a very broad spectrum of unwanted software, actions on, with-in the browser and even the operating system.
The changing of the home page, the adding of a tool bar, the changing of the default search engine are just a few of the behaviors.

It may be that at on point BT did not offer the option to opt out of these changes. That they were made without the users knowledge or consent.

Edited by ThunderZ, 14 October 2010 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users