Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if Hardware or Software problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JosephT1984

JosephT1984

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hi. I have been trying to fix a problem. I have formatted my harddrive and updated all device drivers and am up to date with all windows updates. I am currently running Windows Vista 32-bit. I have a HP Pavillion a6200n computer with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor. Since, I reinstalled windows and am still having this problem it leads me to believe that it is a hardware problem but I am not experienced enough to know this for sure.

Problem Description.
From time to time the input devices on my computer stop working. The keyboard and mouse both stop working, however, I can still move the mouse around the screen. I just can't click on anything. When I try to click on something or type something in there is no response. This lasts for small amounts of time anywhere from 5 to 40 seconds. Then they just begin to work again. I'd like to point out that the computer is not freezing at this time. For instance, if I'm playing a game, all of the graphics continue, it just won't take any input from me. When I push control+alt+delete and bring up the task manager and then close out of it, the mouse and keyboard usually start working again. However it is usually just for another 30 seconds or so. I don't end any tasks on the task manager, I just bring it up and close out of it and all of the sudden it works again. Sometimes this problem will happen every 10 seconds for 20 minutes straight and then sometimes it won't happen for hours. Sometimes I can type and click on the internet but it won't let me click on the start menu, and sometimes it is the other way around. Sometimes I can't do either. If anyone has any suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it as this makes most of the things I do on the computer next to to impossible to accomplish. Thanks.

Additional Information.
All of the hardware is original except for the harddrive, the graphics card, and an extra MB of RAM. About 4 months ago my harddrive died and I replaced it with: WDC WD32 00AAKS-OOUU3 SCSI Disk. (I think this is correct this is what it says under hardware properties for the c: drive. I believe my graphics card is an NVIDIA 8500 but I don't know how to find that out and I threw the package away. Thank you in advance.
I am using

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Does it happen mostly with games?

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 JosephT1984

JosephT1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thank you so much for the response. Here is the information

processor info:

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHZ

and here is the computer temperatures

GPU: 66C
TEMP1: 53C
TEMP2: 47C
TEMP3: 25C
CORE: 47C

#4 JosephT1984

JosephT1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

I don't believe it happens mostly with games it seems to happen no matter what I'm doing, off and on, however, most of the time that I'm on the computer, I am playing games so it is hard for me to give an exact answer.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

Can you start playing some game and post another set of SpeedFan numbers?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 JosephT1984

JosephT1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

ok I played a game and the temperatures remained the same throughout the duration of the game.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

OK.

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Play some game, see what happens.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 JosephT1984

JosephT1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

OK I just did that. It will take me 2 full days to confirm that it works because sometimes it just stops for a day and I think I solved the problem and then later it starts right back up again. I will post again on this in a day or 2. I will also post again if it starts happening before then. Thanks a lot for your help up to the point I really appreciate it!

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

You're welcome :thumbsup:
Make sure, you come back, because you can't run the computer with those settings for a longer time.
You don't even have any AV program running.
It's only for testing purposes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 JosephT1984

JosephT1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

OK it didn't work. it started doing it again :thumbsup: Any other suggestions?

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:22 AM

OK. Go back to "msconfig" and re-enable all items, you disabled before.
Restart computer.

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting/running computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 JosephT1984

JosephT1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

OK Thanks a lot, I'm burning the bootable disc right now and am about to run it. Will let you know the results.

#13 JosephT1984

JosephT1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

ok I have done this and there were 0 errors. Also, lately my computer has been making a noise louder than usual even when it is idle. I tap it on the side and it will go away. I don't know if this could have something to do with the problem.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

Get a can of compressed air, open the case (with computer off) and clean it well inside.
With the case open, turn the computer on, see, if all fans are running and try to locate the noise source.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users