Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-Link Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bonezzz

bonezzz

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

I have a new DELL laptop that I recently purchased. I use it all the time with public WIFI spots so I do not think my problem is not with my laptop.

I have an older D-Link 514 wireless router from a few years back. I had never used the wireless part. I am not even sure if I tried to set the wireless part up back then. It has been used only with ethernet cables. It has been working great all these years. Today I found the D-Link disk and decided to try and get my wireless up and going. No such luck. The WLAN light blinks. The manual says wireless is working when the light is steady and not flashing. However, I read on DSL Reports that the light is supposed to flash when working. All that being said, my home WIFI is not showing up on my laptop. I see other WIFI networks in the neighborhood but not mine. Also, my internet is working just not wireless.

I am not even sure I sure I have all the settings correct. Hopefully you guys will have a quick fix.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

I would start by logging into the D-Link router admin page
I think it is located at 192.168.0.1. (in your web browsers address bar)

Go to your wireless tab and enable the ssid broadcast.
Also take note of the name

connect the laptop via searching for wireless networks in range then turn off the broadcast.
To keep your neighbors and passersby from borrowing your router.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

From what I have found doing some quick reading on the DI-514 HERE. The IP stated by Martel is correct.

How ever. Two points regarding securing your wireless.

1) Disabling SSID broadcast will not block anyone from accessing the wireless network. It will keep honest people honest. But it will still be available for those that know what\how to look for\find it.

2) The wireless only allows for WEP encryption. The current accepted is WPA in several variations.

I would seriously look into getting a newer wireless router, access point.

Edited by ThunderZ, 13 October 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#4 bonezzz

bonezzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try that. Also, if I get a new router, what kind/brand do I need? Also about how much will it cost?

Thanks.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

I have had good luck with Linksys, D-Link and Buffalo. Just picked up an Asus for a client of mine. Priced under $30 with 4 WAN ports, WPA wireless and had good reviews.
Your mileage may vary.

Prices range from around $25 U.S. and up for decent home use ones. As long as it has enough WAN ports to handle the PC`s you wish to wire to it as well as being capable of WPA security for wireless connections, any recent model should do the trick for you.

One last note about securing it. Routers come with a default user name and\or password. Be sure to change st least the password.

#6 bonezzz

bonezzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

Also, is WPA that much better than WEP?

#7 bonezzz

bonezzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:23 PM

Do I need G or N?

802.11?

All this stuff.....

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:24 PM

Yes it is.

WEP has been and can be cracked with tools readily available on the Internet.

A properly configured WPA with a proper length key\pass phrase has yet to be cracked to my knowledge. I believe some have claimed it is possible but have not read of it happening yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users