Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image Backups, server 2003

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wsbssnj

wsbssnj

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

If I make an image backup with the server 2003 "Backup" utility, can I restore the backup on a blank harddrive without reinstalling the OS first?

Thanks,
wsbssnj

Edited by wsbssnj, 13 October 2010 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

The simple answer to your question is no. The built in backup utility in windows does normal, full, incremental, and differential backups. It is not imaging software like Acronis or Ghost. You would have to do the basic inital install of windows server and then then restore a full backup ( plus any incremental or differential backups done since the full backup depending on your scheme) in order to have a fully functional machine.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 wsbssnj

wsbssnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Thanks. I also have a related question, does Windows Server Backup in server 2008 do image backups which can be restored in the manner I mentioned above?

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

While I haven't covered 2008 yet here is alink you may find intersesting that suggests what you are looking to do is possible.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...266(WS.10).aspx
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users