Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 routers, 2 networks, 1 connection

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 andybe

andybe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi all,

i have 1 comcast connection. this is connected to a switch.
2 cables leave the switch, one to a router in the basement, one to a router on the top floor.

i need to have each router to be on a different network.

Originally i had these 2 routers cascading. all worked fine. but now i need to have them separate.

Can someone help me configure the routers so there are no conflicts? no need for security of any kind

As it stands now if i connect to one of the networks (doesn't matter which) then the other becomes unavailable until i reboot the modem.
After the reboot both networks are available but once i connect to one of them, the other becomes unavailable again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

You should have one router hooked to the modem as a gateway. The other router needs to be cofigured as a router. Change the internal IP for each router to a unique range such as 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0. You will need to setup a static route on the routers to send traffic to the gateway and vise versa. Since you are using multiple networks and there is no way to block ou the DHCP signal you will have to use static IP addresses for your computers or setup DHCP reservations in the appropriate router (this would be the better option).
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 andybe

andybe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Baltboy,

i have changed the internal ip as you mention.
Not sure how i do the rest. Can you help?

And when you say i can not use DHCP - i understand this dynamically assigns ip. How does the alternative -static ip - work.
These routers are to be used in a public setting where anyone can log on at any time. Is this going to be feasible?

cheers
Andy

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

what are the make and model of the two routers? Are the people going to be using their own computers or ones that are already there?
Mark Twain

#5 andybe

andybe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

people will be using their own laptops to connect to the networks.
The routers are linksys wrt54g's

thanks

people will be using their own laptops to connect to the networks.
The routers are linksys wrt54g's

thanks

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

Okay a few more questions here.

1. You want to have two seperate networks...Why?( the purpose of a seperate network is to create seperation from one segment to another)

2. What should each network be able to access? Just the internet? Anything on the other network?

As far as static IP goes you cannot use that in a public setting where people are bringing their own laptops it would be far to intensive and laborious since they need to be manually entered for each laptop. The reason DHCP will not work with two seperate networks is that each router would try to answer the request for the DHCP address which is a broadcast request to the entire network trying to find the server. So depending on which one answered first you might not be on the proper network segment once you get an address and it would render the other segment unusable since your IP is for the other segment.

I would say you need to keep everything on one network and replace the second router with a switch for simplicity and ease of use\setup. So go modem- router- switch. With a single cable connecting the switch to the router.
Mark Twain

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

Set one router using standard settings(router functions), the other assign a static IP above or below the DHCP range of the first router, and run it as an access point.

Been doing it here with 2 Belkin's for awhile.

#8 andybe

andybe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

ok,

so i guess i don't really need 2 networks. all users will be doing is getting access to the internet.
If this can be achieved using one network then i'm ok with that.

As i mentioned earlier i need two routers as the signal in one part of the building is almost non existent.
So by adding a second router -in a different part of the building - we will get complete building coverage.

i just need to know how to set them up so there are no conflicts.

NpaMA - how do i run it as an access point?

thanks again

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Linksys-WRT54G-to-Be-an-Access-Point

That explains it pretty well, if there's any issues just post back.

#10 andybe

andybe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

@NpaMA - Doesn't this involve connecting the 2 routers serially?

If so i can not do this as the 2 routers are in different sides of the building and the modem is located in the basement.

I have the modem in the basement. This connects to a switch in the basement right next to the modem.
I then have 2 cat5 cables coming out of the switch which are fed through the walls of the building to boxes on different sides of the building.

does that make sense?

cheers

#11 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

I have the modem in the basement. This connects to a switch in the basement right next to the modem.
I then have 2 cat5 cables coming out of the switch which are fed through the walls of the building to boxes on different sides of the building.

does that make sense?

Let me see if I have this right:
Modem -> switch/router -> Cat5 cables going to different places -> now you need a accept point at one of these places? If so, that link should apply..

Edited by NpaMA, 06 November 2010 - 05:09 PM.

#12 andybe

andybe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:05 PM

@NpaMA - Having a bit of trouble. Wondered if you could advise again.
So i have been following the instruction from that link but i think i am missing something.
Here's what i've done.

modem -> switch -> router 1
i reset the router to factory default then log in.
i give the network a name. The default settings are:
ip = 192.168.1.100 allowing 50 connections (i am guessing that would be up to 192.168.1.149)
i log out. i can connect to this network wirelessly without a problem

The new router:
modem -> switch -> router 2 (new router)
i connect the router directly to my laptop, (port 2) i set the router to factory default then log in.
i give the network a different name. (i ignore the wpa stuff for now. i'll add it later when i can get a connection)
i disable dhcp and set the local ip: 192.168.1.149 (i have tried 192.168.1.254 also. same result)
i then save settings.

The router software asks me to "release/renew ip"
is this asking to release/renew the computer ip or the router?
anyway i go to run->cmd->ipconfig /renew
i get a message "no operation can be performed on Wireless network connection while it has its media disconnected" (no idea what this means)
i plod on ...

i then plug one end of the ethernet cable into the internet port on the router and the end into the switch.
i see the network appear on the laptop and i connect to it. i am told i am connected (windows 7 if that matters)
However when i try to go online i have no connection. I then used windows 7 troubleshooting wizard. End result:
"Wireless Network Connection doesnt have a valid ip"

So i am not sure what the hell i am doing wrong - or right for that matter
One other thing. Once i change the settings on router 2 i am unable to access the routers firmware. Not sure what ip i need to enter to access it now!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Spent another 2-3 hours on this today. its driving me mad!

cheers

#13 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

Router 1 works correctly, or when you plug the 2nd one up you lose internet connection on the first one?

The cable connecting the two routers should go to LAN ports, not WAN.

Depending on the switch, it may be better to have a setup like this.

Modem -> Router 1 (WAN port to modem) -> Switch on LAN 1 and Router 2(Access Point) on LAN 2.

i disable dhcp and set the local ip: 192.168.1.149 (i have tried 192.168.1.254 also. same result)

Are you setting the "local IP" on the router or computer? You have the subnet as 255.255.255.0 ? Default gateway(of router 1) is 192.168.1.1, right?

I'd recommend a static IP on the second router as 192.168.1.2 - since your DHCP range is .100-149.

#14 andybe

andybe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

Router 1 works fine all of the time!

Modem -> Router 1 (WAN port to modem) -> Switch on LAN 1 and Router 2(Access Point) on LAN 2

The config you recommend is piggybacking the routers right? connecting them serially? I can not do this.
The switch i have is a standard netgear 5 port switch FS105

Again the set up i have is:

modem (basement)-> netgear switch(basement) -> router DHCP (first floor)
modem (basement)-> netgear switch(basement) -> router nonDHCP (second floor)
The switch has to remain infront of the routers

Are you setting the "local IP" on the router or computer? You have the subnet as 255.255.255.0 ? Default gateway(of router 1) is 192.168.1.1, right?

i am setting the local ip on the router. subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 yes. and default gateway on router 1(DHCP) is 192.168.1.1

Andy

#15 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

With that setup try it with DHCP on, on router 2.

My suggestion was to let router 1 handle DHCP, however in that setup its most likely causing problems.

Try it like this.

On router 2, turn DHCP on. Set the router DHCP range to 192.168.2.1-100 (notice the change in 1.1 to 2.1)

Leave WAN set to do DHCP, plug the cable from the switch into WAN.

The steps with this setup get complicated because I don't know how your switch and modem are doing DHCP. So just play with it, and see what happens.

Edited by NpaMA, 19 November 2010 - 12:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users