Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New member with tcp/ip problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aatkinson

aatkinson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

I am new to this forum and hope i am not breaking any rules.

The problem started when I installed Windows updates, ran SuperAntiSpyware, and CC Cleaner. Once i rebooted, my network connection kept saying "Acquiring IP Address". Ive had this problem before, and found that a virus changed my Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties to use a bogus dns server (0.0.0.0). I looked this time and found nothing abnormal (optain ip and dns servers automatically checked). I tried running IPCONFIG commands, but got the following error:Internal Error: I found some forums saying my WINSOCK registries might be corrupted, so i ran some netsh commands (netsh int ip reset C:\reset.log, netsh winsock reset catalog), this did not help. I found i download to repair my registry keys, and this did nothing either. I tried a Windows repair from my disc, and this worked until the windows loading screen came up(the one with the loading bar), then the same screen comes up says something regarding "please wait' with an hour glass as the cursor. It sits at this screen for hours, making me shut down by holding the power button, then restarting. I've tried setting all the IP settings manually (dns, wins, ip, etc) then rebooting, but when I reboot, they are back to "acquire automatically". So i imagine the windows repair does not complete, because now when i try to start normally, my pc reboots randomly. I sometimes get the blue screen of death, othertimes it just reboots. I tried uninstalling both of my network adapters and rebooting, and this seemed to let me connect to the network im on, but not the web. I checked the proxy settings for the internet but nothing suspicious. Ive tried deleting the registry keys for winsock and that fixed nothing.

so where i am now is i can run in safe mode and ping my domain servers. If i try to ping google.com i get ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again. If i try to run normally, it gets to the control+Alt+delete screen, and my pc either reboots, or BSOD's. If i try to access My Computer, or My network places, my pc reboots.

Any advice on these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Budapest, 13 October 2010 - 04:00 PM.
Moved from Introductions ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

I would try to do a system restore back to before you had the problems as a place to start
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 curryjl

curryjl

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

Sounds to me like there is some sort of malware still on your PC. If you could do me favor and send me a screenshot of your currently running processes when you start-up that will help. For a quick check manually insert the IP Address, subnet mask, default gateway, etc... on your computer and physically connect to your modem and check if you can ping Google if you can we know there may be some configuration problems with the router. Thanks feel free to ask any questions and I will try and help.
Curry ~ CCENT, A+ Information Technician

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

I second malware causing it. You should head over to the Am I Infected? forum and post there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users