Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Laptop's Hard Drive is Missing Files...(like gigs)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jair24611

jair24611

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

I just got around to trying to extract stuff from a laptop I had in college that had died, and a lot of what was on there is missing.
I was told back in 2006 that the processor had fried and there was no use in paying for it to be fixed. Since then, I've learned some things and I just recently remembered that the hard drive sitting in that old computer had some stuff that I would like to pull off and put on the laptop I bought to replace it.

I pulled out the hard drive, got a usb converter kit, hooked up the 2.5" IDE connector, and XP picked up the disk just like it would a jumpdrive.
It was like a reunion, getting to see all the old folders and programs I had put on there...Anyway, I pulled off a couple things that I wanted from the Program Files area, but when I went to my personal folder (I usually set up a "Jai's Stuff" folder on my desktop, which I put songs, vids, pics, homework, downloads, etc...in), only about a third of the stuff was there.

I went through the rest of the stuff on the disk, and even the recently opened documents, showed some of the stuff that used to be in the "Documents and Settings\Jai Rathod\Desktop\Jai's Stuff\" folder, but is no longer there. Does anyone know of a way to possibly repair partitions of an old hard drive or something like that, that may reveal these files and folders?

Thanks,
J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

I went through the rest of the stuff on the disk, and even the recently opened documents, showed some of the stuff that used to be in the "Documents and Settings\Jai Rathod\Desktop\Jai's Stuff\" folder, but is no longer there. Does anyone know of a way to possibly repair partitions of an old hard drive or something like that, that may reveal these files and folders?

Thanks,
J

Hi J and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I would like to think you are looking at the desktop short-cut icon, which will no longer work since you are NOT booted to this hard drive where the short-cut would work correctly.

You need to look under users

Then Jai.

Then your documents folder, then you will find your files in your folder.

Going through the desktop icon when it is a slave drive like this won't work.

If I have lost you here please let me know and I will direct you there with instructions.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 October 2010 - 02:47 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

If you think the disk needs repairing you could try the following.

Click Start, Run
Type Cmd and press enter - this should open a Command Prompt box
Type chkdsk E: /R /F - where E: is the logical drive letter for your old disk

Be aware that this will take a long time to complete - I have had it go anywhere from 2-12 hours. I suggest starting it and letting it run overnight. If come morning it seems like it's hung, go ahead and stop the process.

Thanks,
Todd

#4 jair24611

jair24611
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

I did go through the entire path to where the files should have been stored. (what would normally be c:/docs & settings/users/jai rathod/desktop/jai's stuff/...
The files are not there either; they are actually gone. I searched the whole disk for some of the files that I knew to be on the disk, and it could not find them.

I also tried the chkdsk in cmd prompt, it said there were not files in any bad sections and no errors of any kind, so now I'm not sure where to go.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:26 AM

Jai I am looking at your path and it mentions your desktop.

Did you save this folder in question on the desk top?

Or when your hard drive was once bootable did you have a shortcut to the folder on your desktop?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 jair24611

jair24611
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

The file itself was saved to the folder located on the desktop, not just the shortcut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users