Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can play DVDs, but not CDs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GeekGrrl

GeekGrrl

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hi! I recently "inherited" this computer from my brother. It was massively infected with all kinds of trojans and spyware. Thanks to the helpers in the forums here I got it all cleaned up and working again, except the computer cannot seem to read CDs. It can play DVDs without a problem - I just watched two episodes of The Big Bang Theory. :thumbsup:

Computer: HP Pavilion a6152n
Front of the CD-ROM drive says "LightScribe DVD SuperMulti Drive / CD-Writer"
Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
400GB Hard Drive
3072 MB Memory

When I put a CD in, the green activity light on the front comes on, and it whirs and clicks for several minutes before simply stopping. If I then try to "open" or "explore" the CD by clicking on the drive in My Computer, a message comes up saying, "Please Insert Disc".

Please let me know if more information than this is needed! I also didn't know if this was Internal or External Hardware - please forgive me if I'm in the wrong section.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hello and welcome to the hardware forums.

First I want to mention that with drives of this type, it is common to have one ability lost, while another ability still functions normally.

This is one of the issues with multi.

What I mean is the laser has to burn a CD disk differently then a DVD disk.

As a drive of this type gets a lot of use for one media over another, the one used the most is the first to fail, while the least used still works.

Drives of this type are very inexpensive these days and are cheaper to replace than to fix.

With that being said, I realize you said you had a lot of malware and trojans on this computer.

It is often found that some hardware no longer functions after the infections are gone.

This is caused by several possiblities.

A driver was infected and had to be removed.

A driver was deleted or corrupted by the virus or malware.

The drive may have had its firmware damaged by the infections.

It basically depends on what the owner of the computer was attepting to do or install when the computer became infected.

The owner may have installed a bogus driver that came from a bad web site.

Or try using a torrents related web site to download FREE music, movies or hacked software.

The best thing I can suggest at this point is try downloading the drivers recommended for this computer and its hardware from the official vendor web sites.

Here's a good place to start, the HP web site, this drivers page is for your computer, it is set to the 32 Bit version of Vista.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3445434

I would try re-installing your motherboard drivers first.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 October 2010 - 02:15 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MidwestTech

MidwestTech

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

Hi,

Just a thought, but during the malware removal process did you run a program called Defogger? If so, did you run it again and Re-enable the CD emulation?

Todd

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

A simple way to check for the laser CD section problem MrBruce mentioned, is to try to boot the computer from bootable CD media, such as a Windows XP CD, or a Linux Live CD. If the drive cannot read a CD to boot from, then nothing in the OS installation can cause or correct this. If cleaning of the laser lens doesn't restore operation, then the drive needs to be replaced. If it boots OK from CD, then you know to keep looking for the cause in the Windows installation.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 GeekGrrl

GeekGrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:51 PM

Hello and welcome to the hardware forums.

Thanks, Mr. Bruce.

Here's a good place to start, the HP web site, this drivers page is for your computer, it is set to the 32 Bit version of Vista.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3445434

I would try re-installing your motherboard drivers first.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I visited the site you linked to and was unable to find anything that specifically said it related to the CD drive or the motherboard. Do you have any idea which one I should be looking at?

#6 GeekGrrl

GeekGrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

Hi Todd, thanks for looking at my problem! I didn't run Defogger at all, and didn't disable anything to do with the CD drive. Thanks again!

#7 GeekGrrl

GeekGrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

A simple way to check for the laser CD section problem MrBruce mentioned, is to try to boot the computer from bootable CD media, such as a Windows XP CD, or a Linux Live CD. If the drive cannot read a CD to boot from, then nothing in the OS installation can cause or correct this.

Hi Platypus and thanks for looking at my problem. While I was cleaning up the computer, the guy who helped me had me burn a bootable CD (xPUD), which the computer couldn't boot to at all. It worked on my other computers, but when I tried to boot the sick computer with it, the drive just clicked and growled and eventually the PC booted from the hard drive.

If cleaning of the laser lens doesn't restore operation, then the drive needs to be replaced. If it boots OK from CD, then you know to keep looking for the cause in the Windows installation.

So the next step is to clean the laser lens? How would I do something like that?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:03 AM

So the next step is to clean the laser lens? How would I do something like that?

This is a great idea.

You can do one of two things.

The first and easiest is to purchase a disk from a music store designed to be inserted into the drive and as it spins it will clean the lens. I want to say these do not always work as they should and sometimes do not work at all!

The disk is supposed to have some brushes on it along with some boring music (LOL) once the laser lens reaches the area where the brushes are it sweeps the dust off of the lens, but sometimes these disks fail to even start, even in a good drive. :thumbsup:

The second and harder procedure involves removing the drive from the computer case.

You'll have to remove the screws to remove the metal covers on both the top and bottom of the drive.

Then you have to remove the entire internal drive mechanism to remove the cross bar to which holds the disk that magnetically holds the CD on the spindle, which has a metal ring that the magnetic disk is attracted to to hold the CD in place on the spindle. Once this is done, you now have a clear unobstructed view of the laser lens, a small clear disk which looks almost like an eyeball from a frog. (ribbit)

Using a cotton swab dipped in 70% isopropyl alcohol, gently wipe the lens back and forth a few times, then use the opposite end to dry the lens off. Please try not to disturb the lens as much as possible, if you rub too hard, you can damage the coil or disrupt the proper orientation and angle of the lens.

Put the drive back together again, do not forget the magnetic disk before putting the covers on, you'll know you forgot it when your CD spins wildly around inside the drive and does not eject when you want it too.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 October 2010 - 01:07 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:40 AM

Hi,

many manufacturers of optical drives strongly advise not to use such a "cleaning disc". I think they have reasons for that warning.

Michael

http://club.myce.com/f44/lens-cleaning-disc-good-bad-218094/

I usually open the tray and then powerdown the computer, try using compressed air to blow any dust or lint off the lens, then try disassemble.

My first cd burner cost over 100$ refurbished, my first dvd burner ran about 300$, with a new one only about 25-30$ I don't bother with disassembly any more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=

I like LG, Samsung and Liteon

You would need a sata model I guess.

Edited by DaChew, 14 October 2010 - 07:47 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users