Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Video Card on an old Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

I purchased an old Sony Vaio PCG-FXA63 a month ago. Videos are very choppy and since it only had 256MB of RAM I went ahead and added another 256MB. That was only a marginal improvement. I was condsidering upgrading the video card but from what I can see it may be soldered onto the Mother Board. I just wanted to ckeck in here to see if that info is accurate, without having to tear this unit apart to see for myself.

Edited by Bezukhov, 13 October 2010 - 09:42 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

It's rare for a laptop to have anything beyond permanently integrated video. I haven't been able to find anything to show me positively which way the PCG-FXA63 is set up. But even if it used a separate card, I expect obtaining a suitable better performing version of the little cards such laptops use would be difficult and expensive. Considering that the rest of the laptop would still be limited (Athlon 1.4, 512MB RAM max), you could probably just spend the same amount and get a more powerful laptop.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the input, Platypus. I'll leave well enough alone. It was only $100, plus $15 for the RAM upgrade. I've squandered more than that in a barroom on a Friday night with much less to show for it. It's a spare that may come in handy if anything happens to my usual machine and I need to get here to BC and find an answer.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users