Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control 2nd PC from first - on a network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 makecoldplayhistory

makecoldplayhistory

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:01 AM

I'd like to use a 2nd computer, added to my router and controlled from my main PC.

My main PC's quite power hungry and noisy. The 2nd is an underclocked dual core - to be used for storage and torrenting.

My main PC has dual monitors and I don't want to lose one monitor for the other PC.

I have Win 7 Ultimate on my main PC and would be able to install it on the other. I also have a copy of XP (if that's easier for some reason) and would be more than happy to use a Linux distro on the 2nd PC if, again, there's a good reason for it.

The main reason for needed to control the 2nd machine is to access files and to add / remove torrents.

I went to a kind fo helpful PC shop today. They had a KVM (I think) switch that could use one monitor for both PCs. That HAD to have the mouse and keyboard running through it as it was a hotkey that changed which PC was using the screen. The problem there was the PS2 mouse/keyboard plugs and I have USB connections.

Many thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

WOuld you be wanting to use this machine as an actual desktop or as a server?

#3 Wasisnt

Wasisnt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

Why not some remote control software like Real VNC? Its free for XP but the free version wont work on 7. You can buy the Personal edition for $30. Or use Remote Desktop on both if they are both Windows. Real VNC will work on Linux but it more involved to setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users