Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's your favorite antivirus, spyware, firewall software

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gr8fandini

gr8fandini

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

Have CA security software on my windows xp desktop now and it's really slow. All the usual things have been done to check for problems that cause a pc to slow down. My computer guy was thinking that the particular security I'm running may be bringing it to a crawl. Any suggestions from any of you that have had any experience with different security software? Which one seems to work the best without slowing the computer down much if any?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

Slow is an understatement with CA

It works, I had it from Time Warner Cable, but OMG it was like swimming in Jello.

I use AVG free not the trial version AVG free

my computer runs fast and stays clean for well over a year now

#3 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:35 AM

Ran MalwareBytes - ( Free ) and Cloud AV ( Free )

Yeah, the word free really helps.
^_^

Edited by elise025, 13 October 2010 - 05:55 AM.
I am moving this topic to the Antivirus/Firewall... forum ~ Elise

Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#4 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:46 AM

My computer is a bit unusual.
I separated system and data completely :
- partition-C = WinXPproSP3 + alle software, but no data, the folder "My Documents" = empty.
- partition-D = all data-files, including emails+addressbook, bookmarks on Delicious.

Security = Comodo Firewall (freeware)
+ Sandboxie = sandboxing browsers (1st layer)
+ Anti-Executable = authorized executables only (2nd layer)
+ FirstDefense-ISR = Immediate System Recovery (3th layer)
+ ShadowProtect Desktop = Image Backup (4th layer)

- no cleaning/registry software or registry backup anymore
- no uninstall programs anymore for temporarily installed software.
- no scanners anymore
- no cloud technology anymore :thumbsup:

It works already 5 years. I tried every scanner on earth to verify my setup, but none of them couldn't find anything, not even a tracking cookie. I'm still waiting for ... my first iceberg, but it doesn't happen.
I have a golden reboot of 2 minuts, that keeps my system superclean, malware-free and repairs any malfunction, caused by malware or myself or others automatically.
In other words my computer is a paradise without doing anything, nothing but normal work and fun.

I know, it's hard to believe but nevertheless true, while many other users are begging for help with their MBAM/HJT/OTL/GMER/DDS/whatever-logs in this forum and many other forums worldwide, because their security is too weak. These users are running in vicious circles from one malware to another and can't do anything about it. :flowers:

Edited by ErikAlbert, 13 October 2010 - 07:29 AM.

ErikAlbert - "Simplicity is always brilliant" - "Every software sucks, some suck more than others."
WinXPproSP3 + Comodo Firewall + FirstDefense-ISR + Anti-Executable + Sandboxie + ShadowProtect - no scanners, no cleaners.
I remove superfluous and evil objects, not because they are there, but because they weren't there.

#5 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:20 AM

Is CA a really good firewall and antivirus software? I noticed that one of the local computer stores uses it too. I also got mine from time warner cable.

A buddy of mine is running Norton and says he can't tell it's on there.

Eric, I'm not smart enough to do what you have done, it would would probably take me a month with constant tech support help. Is there someone out there who could set mine up like that?

#6 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Eric, I'm not smart enough to do what you have done, it would would probably take me a month with constant tech support help. Is there someone out there who could set mine up like that?

Which operating system do you have ?
How many internal harddisks do you have and how big is each harddisk ?
Do you have external harddisks and how big is each external harddisk ?
Do you have an Image Backup software ?

Edited by ErikAlbert, 13 October 2010 - 08:40 AM.

ErikAlbert - "Simplicity is always brilliant" - "Every software sucks, some suck more than others."
WinXPproSP3 + Comodo Firewall + FirstDefense-ISR + Anti-Executable + Sandboxie + ShadowProtect - no scanners, no cleaners.
I remove superfluous and evil objects, not because they are there, but because they weren't there.

#7 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Which operating system do you have ?
How many internal harddisks do you have and how big is each harddisk ?
Do you have external harddisks and how big is each external harddisk ?
Do you have an Image Backup software ?

I have window xp
I have only one internal hard drive
I do not have any external hard drives
I don't think I have an image back up software, unless it is part of windows xp.

#8 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

I don't think I have an image back up software, unless it is part of windows xp.

In that case, you won't be able to improve anything, just little improvements. Sorry. :thumbsup:
You forgot to mention the volume of your internal harddisk.
Installing and learning Sandboxie would be a smart idea, in your case. :flowers:

Edited by ErikAlbert, 13 October 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#9 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

In that case, you won't be able to improve anything, just little improvements. Sorry. :thumbsup:
You forgot to mention the volume of your internal harddisk.
Installing and learning Sandboxie would be a smart idea, in your case. :flowers:

Sorry, Hardrive size is 40 gigs I think, have about 20 gigs free.............. I think.

#10 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

Sorry, Hardrive size is 40 gigs I think, have about 20 gigs free.............. I think.

Not much either. You better keep your computer like it is and keep your classical security setup.

Installing Sandboxie and sandbox your actual browser would be a good improvement for you.
Sandboxie has a freeware version and that will be enough for you. If you don't like you can always ditch it. :thumbsup:
http://www.sandboxie.com/
This is what I found on the website :

Sandboxie is shareware software. The free version is missing a few features which are available in the paid version. After 30 days of use, the free version displays reminders to upgrade to the paid version, but remains functional. For personal use, you are encouraged, but not required, to upgrade to the paid version.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 14 October 2010 - 04:49 AM.

#11 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

So would you ditch the CA security for something like AV? Or would it be best to stay with the CA since it seems to work but slow the computer down.

#12 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

So would you ditch the CA security for something like AV? Or would it be best to stay with the CA since it seems to work but slow the computer down.

If it slows down your computer, that is not good.

Here is a good report about AV-scanners and use only ADVANCED+ AV-scanners :
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stor..._od_aug2010.pdf
You can store it on your computer.

AVAST Free AntiVirus seems to be a good choice.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 14 October 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#13 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

If it slows down your computer, that is not good.

Here is a good report about AV-scanners and use only ADVANCED+ AV-scanners :
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stor..._od_aug2010.pdf
You can store it on your computer.

AVAST Free AntiVirus seems to be a good choice.

Avast Huh. Well I looked at the Avast website and it seems you get better protection from the Full featured Avast internet security suite. I do some occasional shopping and paying bills as well as checking my bank account online so it does seem like a better choice to have the extra protection of the full featured version. $50.00 a year. Does anybody have any experience with this version. Is a paid for version a better choice or would that be wasting my money?

#14 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:45 AM

Avast Huh. Well I looked at the Avast website and it seems you get better protection from the Full featured Avast internet security suite. I do some occasional shopping and paying bills as well as checking my bank account online so it does seem like a better choice to have the extra protection of the full featured version. $50.00 a year. Does anybody have any experience with this version. Is a paid for version a better choice or would that be wasting my money?

Oops... I thought you were talking about a separate Firewall, AV-scanner and AS-scanner, not about a security suite. That is something else. In the past, I called them Frankenstein Security Suites. :thumbsup:
I guess that security suites are much better now after all these years, but not in the beginning.
However some users still find separate components better than suites, but everyone has an opinion and
who is right or wrong ?
I would try them all and make my final choice at the end. I guess most of them have a 30-day trial period. If you try them all, you might have a full year of security suites for free.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 15 October 2010 - 03:02 AM.

#15 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

You could give Comodo Internet Security 2011 a try. It is light on your system and costs nothing. It also gives very good protection from new malware unknown to any antivirus.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users