Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desk top freezes after initial boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 etepper1

etepper1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

After i boot up, my desk top freezes after being usable for a while. Have to reboot computer and it is very annoying. What can I do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

I am assuming that the basic hardware troubleshooting has not been dealt with.

Ok here we go.

1. Please check if your CPU internals are free from dust bunnies and the like. A can of air will really help.
2. Boot at safe mode. Since you posted on Windows XP, restart your computer, before you see the windows logo hit F8 on your keyboard and boot at safe mode.
3. On safe mode, check if the computer is not freezing.
If yes, its either that you have OS issues or hardware issue.
If no, its most likely that once of your start up items is / are causing this problem. Perhaps an expired AV.

Do this : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/qui...ows-xp-startup/

4. Boot regularly and check if the problem persist.

Please post your results.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

When you say "locks up", do you mean the desktop stops responding to mouse clicks, or does the mouse stop moving too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users