Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem re-installing xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sarah4u

Sarah4u

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Running xp pro on an old Dell. Don't know anything about the machine except I can't put shortcuts or anything else on the desktop. The machine's slow, too. Just booted from the OS cd and received this message:

Line 1 of the INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit. I can do a basic installation but I'm stuck at this point.

Edited by Sarah4u, 12 October 2010 - 10:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

Where did you get the XP Pro disk?

If it's a burned copy and the Dell is a very old computer, it may not be able to read CDR media correctly. You can try to use a more current cdrom drive.

Make sure you don't have a dusty lense in your cdrom drive by attempting to blow compressed air on the lense or into the drive where the lense should be.

Make sure your cd isnt scratched or covered with fingerprints.

These, being ok, you can try another CD to install from.

If that doesn't work, you should try to do ram tests and a hard drive test.

Edited by Gabrial, 12 October 2010 - 10:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users