Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How To Overclock?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:31 PM

I'm using P-4 2.53ghz, 512mb ram pc2700. FSB 533mhz, Asus P4PE-x motherboard. Nvidia FX5200 video card.

will i have to something? or changed ram type?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:34 PM

Dear Cast,

I reccomend not to over clock! There are programs that will speed up your CPU so that you will be able to play all those cool games but if you forget to change back it might burn up your mother board and others.

Not to mention your power supply will probably fry!

This is what I would do with the current computer you have. Buy a Antec 550 watt power supply, then get 2gb (1gb per stick) of medium Corsair memory. No point in buying the best because it changes almost daily.

This will cost maybe $250. You will see a huge change though.

Let me know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 hamluis

• 54,995 posts
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:57 PM

I'm using P-4 2.53ghz, 512mb ram pc2700. FSB 533mhz, Asus P4PE-x motherboard. Nvidia FX5200 video card.

CPU Overclocking - Introduction -

#4 chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:15 PM

Yes you will have to change something.......the bios settings, and no, you won't have to change the ram type unless you are going to seriously overclock the CPU.
Do a google search on "overclocking cpu" and spend a few hours or even days reading to fully understand the effects it has on your system. Don't use a software program to alter your settings/overclock, stick with the bios.

I have my AMD 4000+ running at 2.7GHz (2.4GHz stock) and my system is totally stable and the temps are only 2 degrees higher. The performance difference by overclocking my system was huge, with a very noticeable increase in speed.

The power supply wouldn't have to be changed unless you are running near it's limits before you start (10% overclock equals about 20 more watts of power). I would recommend upgrading the ram to PC3200 if your Mobo supports it, this will unlock alot more potential from that CPU. If the Intel CPU of yours is a Northwood core then you should be able to get between 2.8 and 3.4GHz if you upgrade the ram. If the CPU is the newer Prescott core, then you might have some problems with heat at higher clock frequencies.
The main thing is to do your home work and search the overclocker's forums for people who have similar systems to yours.

Edited by chiefmasterjedi, 17 November 2005 - 07:26 PM.

#5 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:13 PM

Bwah...hahhhh...ha! Using almost the exact same system, I was able to get a stable 2.94 gHz with air-cooling a while back (ThermalRight SP-94 cooler). Never could figger out why I couldn't break 3.0 gHz tho'.

It was an Asus P4PE, 2.53 gHz P4, 533 mHz Bus, 1 gB of PC2700 (Kingston Value RAM), and a vid card based on the FX 5200 chipset

Only adjustment was the FSB, a duct to carry cooler room air to the CPU, and a blowhole on the top of the case to let the hot air out. Temps were around 50 C

The mobo and CPU are powering my second system now - the rest of the components are in my primary system.

Be careful and keep a close eye on the temps!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users