Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking apart a Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

I just recently bought a new laptop cooler hoping that it would solve me overheating issues when gaming, but unfortunately it barely helped at all. I'm hoping that my issue is a product of dust build up rather than the laptop simply having terrible cooling.

I was curious if anyone happen to know a website that specifically shows how to disassemble specific laptop brands and versions. I highly doubt it but I figured I'd give it a go.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

Sometimes you can find a dis-assembly manual to download or even a video that someone was kind enough to produce and post on line.

Knowing the make and model would really help us in helping you to find one if it exists.

#3 bradumd

bradumd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

Sorry, it's an Acer 5739g.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

http://www.google.co.nz/search?client=oper...-8&oe=utf-8

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-...e-5610z-laptop/

Here's a good example of a different model

Most beginners tear something up with a full disassembly, I would just open the covers and carefully vacuum using a fine bristle brush then blow out the remaining dust with compressed air.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 robinls

robinls

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

I would not recommend disassembly of the laptop. DaChew had the right suggesstion, however, I would reconsider the cooler pad, it probably does more than you think. Laptops can run hot, its just a function of the design for most of the generations of CPUs out there. Another thing to consider is if you are using it plugged into the wall, you can remove the battery, which is a good suggestion anyway, since at that point you are simply shortening the life of the battery. That will remove a small heat source.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

I would just open the covers and carefully vacuum using a fine bristle brush then blow out the remaining dust with compressed air.

Most vacuum cleaners are great static electricity generators. Because of this it is very important to keep the nozzle from touching the components inside the case. Your body also can have a charge of static electricity, so before you touch any of the components inside discharge yourself to a metal object close at hand. Static electricity can kill integrated circuits.

Edit: There are vacuum cleaners that are designed expressly for this application and don't present the danger that household vacuum cleaners do.

Edited by dc3, 14 October 2010 - 11:37 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

I would suggest a weak portable vacuum using a duster attachment or smaller plastic nozzle(non conductive) and a natural bristle paint or artisit brush, the main concern is to not blow any dust deeper into the laptop.

It's important to remove the battery
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 tooty

tooty

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

I took apart my Dell inspiron 1520 because the CPU was heating to the 55-70oC range. I took it outside, blew all the dust out and now it's at the 40-50oC range, my HDD was cooler too. It definitely helps but you risk breaking it, so be 110% careful if you do decide to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users