Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Green stripe donw computer screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kimberlylarae

kimberlylarae

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

The title kind of says it all. Out of the blue this afternoon a neon green stripe appeared right down the far left side of the computer screen and everything in it looks faded. I thought maybe restarting the computer might take care of it but it didn't and I noticed a bright pink stripe in the same area of the screen on the blue windows welcome screen. Looks like a spooky Halloween prank, but it isn't funny--it's irritating and worrisome. What can I do, if anything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

your graphics card could be going bad.

go to start>run and type in dxdiag.exe and press enter. tell me if theres any problems on the display tab

#3 kimberlylarae

kimberlylarae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

Everything seems alright there. I tested DirectDraw and 3D and it tested fine. Everything else on the display tab looks good.

#4 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

if you have a desktop PC, shut down and take out the monitor plug in the back of your computer tower and plug it back in snugly. restart. did you buy this graphics card separately?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

Check the monitor on another computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:12 PM

If this is a laptop screen or a flat panel monitor it's very likely the LCD matrix on your screen having a bad diode and the screen will need to be replaced to properly fix the issue.

Since you are seeing the issue before windows even loads into memory, it's got to be a hardware issue. Try connecting your computer to another external monitor. If the issue is there as well, it's a problem with your video chipset and/or video ram. If it doesn't appear there, you need to replace your screen and/or video cable.

Edited by Gabrial, 12 October 2010 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users