Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, Rootkit infection, google redirect

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bjn029

bjn029

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

I hope that someone can help me out.
I've had the google redirect issue for a couple of weeks now and I've tried to follow along with other threads but nothing seems to be working for me. I have a Dell mini 10v, running windows XP, I get the redirect in both Firefox and IE. I've tried a couple of different Virus Scanners, both installed and online, I've run tdsskiller but it keeps coming back with the TLD4 infection but won't clean. can

Here is my hijackthis log from today
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 8:15:08 PM, on 10/12/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\avp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1285800029\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\avp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox2\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\klwtblfs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\newmans\My Documents\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://mail.dressbarn.com/exchange
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {472734EA-242A-422b-ADF8-83D1E48CC825} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: IEVkbdBHO - {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\ievkbd.dll
O2 - BHO: link filter bho - {E33CF602-D945-461A-83F0-819F76A199F8} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\klwtbbho.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\MpcStar\Codecs\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1285800029\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\avp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O9 - Extra button: &Virtual Keyboard - {4248FE82-7FCB-46AC-B270-339F08212110} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\klwtbbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: URLs c&heck - {CCF151D8-D089-449F-A5A4-D9909053F20F} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\klwtbbho.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus Service (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab ZAO - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011\avp.exe
O23 - Service: DMTLY - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\newmans\LOCALS~1\Temp\DMTLY.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HGDFCACFNBTU - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\newmans\LOCALS~1\Temp\HGDFCACFNBTU.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (DellSupportCenter) (sprtsvc_DellSupportCenter) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
End of file - 5561 bytes

Attached Files

Edited by bjn029, 13 October 2010 - 03:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Hi and welcome. :)

My name is Extremeboy (or EB for short), and I will be helping you with your log. I apologize for the delay in response.

You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favourites. Alternatively, you can click the Posted Image button at the top bar of this topic and choose the notification you wish and click Proceed. Your subscription will be added and the topics you are subscribed/tracked to can be found in your Control Panel on this page

Please take note of the following guidelines in the meantime:

Please perform all steps in the order received and do not proceed if you need clarification.

• In the meantime, please refrain from making any changes to your computer. The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
  • Also, even if things appear to be running better, there is no guarantee that everything is finished. Please continue to check this forum post in order to ensure we get your system completely clean. We do not want to clean you part-way up, only to have the system re-infect itself.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
  • Old topics are closed after 3-5 days with no reply, and working topics are closed after 5-7 days. If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just post back here so that we know you're still here.
  • Finally, please reply using the Posted Image button in the lower left hand corner of your screen.

I would also like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. In addition, most of us staff members here are all volunteers. With that said, please be courteous and appreciative for the assistance provided.

If you still require assistance we would like to see the current condition of your system so please post a new set of DDS Logs as well as a GMER log and a description of any remaining problems or symptoms you may still have please.

If for any reason you did not post a DDS log or GMER log please refer to this page and in step #6 and Step #7 and Step #8 for further instructions on downloading and running DDS & GMER. If you have any problems when running the tools or unable to produce a report for any reason, just let me know in your next reply.

For your next reply I would like to see:
-The DDS logs
---DDS.txt and Attach logs
-GMER log
-Description of any remaining problems you may still have.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 bjn029

bjn029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

EB
Thanks for contacting me. I've attached the current DDS outputs as well as a current GMER.log file.

The same issue is still presenting itself, where in both IE and Firefox, I am getting browser redirects and the occasional pop-up tab.
I also receive a Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error popup.
Please let me know what else I can do to help you, help me.

Thanks
Bryan

Attached Files

Edited by bjn029, 20 October 2010 - 06:05 AM.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hello again,

Sorry for the short delay. Had a few things to cover yesterday so didn't respond. Let's keep going.

We usually should both get one response from each other each day, more if time permits.

Anyways, the symptoms you are telling shows some certain infections that has been quite prevalent these days.

You have a nasty rootkit infection on board. Some information regarding this rootkit.

Unfortunatly One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

If you wish to format the machine instead, please let me know. If not let us proceed with the disinfection process by following my instructions below:

--

Let's backup your registry first:

Backup Registry with ERUNT

This tool will create a complete backup of your registry. A backup is created to ensure we have backup so encase anything goes wrong we can deal with it. Do not delete these backups until we are finished.
  • Please download erunt-setup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click erunt-setup.exe. Follow the prompts and allow ERUNT to be installed with the settings at default. If you do not want a Desktop icon, feel free to uncheck that. When asked if you want to create an ERUNT entry in the startup folder, answer Yes. You can delete the installation file after use.
  • Erunt will open when the installation is finished. Check all items to be backed up in the default location and click OK.
You can find a complete guide to using the program here:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

Then...

Download and Run TDSSKiller

• Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract its contents to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the desktop.
  • Go to Start > Run (Or you can hold down your Windows key and press R) and copy and paste the following into the text field. (make sure you include the quote marks) Then press OK.

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l C:\TDSSKiller.txt -v

• If it says "Hidden service detected" DO NOT type anything in. Just press Enter on your keyboard to not do anything to the file.
  • When it is done, a log file should be created on your C: drive called "TDSSKiller.txt" please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

After that...

Download and Run ComboFix

Note to readers of this post other than the starter of this thread:
ComboFix is a VERY POWERFUL tool which should NOT BE USED without guidance of an expert.

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.
Link 1
Link 2

Please refer to this page for full instructions on how to run ComboFix.

• Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double click ComboFix.exe to start the program. Agree to the prompts.
  • When ComboFix is finished, a log report (C:\ComboFix.txt) will open. Post back with it.
Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.

ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may call it to stall.

Once they are all done, please post the logs for my review.

Thanks.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 bjn029

bjn029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

Hey EB,

Thanks for following up. I've run both TDSKiller and Combofix, logs are attached.
I was unable to run the TDSKiller with the -v option, let me know if there was something I was doing incorrectly.
It did find Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.tdl4(\HardDisk0\MBR).

Thanks for the heads up on the banking, etc, I've stayed away from logging into anything that I would be concerned with like that on the infected laptop. I'll begin the process of widepsread password changes when we've finally rectified this.

I look forward to the next step.

Bryan

Attached Files

Edited by bjn029, 22 October 2010 - 07:33 AM.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Hello.

That version of Combofix seems a bit outdated.

Let's check a few things.

Please download Rootkit Unhooker and save it to your Desktop
  • Double-click on RKUnhookerLE to run it
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan
  • Check Drivers, Stealth and uncheck the rest
  • Click OK
  • Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report
  • Save the report to your Desktop
Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.

Note - you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!
It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

---
Please then delete the Combofix you currently have. Re-download it from >here< and run it once more please.

Thanks.

~EB

#7 bjn029

bjn029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

EB
Sorry for the delay, sometimes weekends can be tough.
Things seem to be better on my side, let me know if you see anything in these logs.

Attached are the files you requested.

Thanks
Bryan

Attached Files

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hello again,

That's looking a lot better. Just a few things to clear up.

Download and run OTL

• Download OTL by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop. If you are using Vista, please right-click and select run as administrator
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • It will now begin to scan, please be paitent while it scans.
  • Two reports will open once it's done.
  • Please copy and paste them in your next reply:
  • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
  • Extras.txt <-- Will be minimized

Update and Scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

• Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Go to the Update tab
  • Select Check for Update and let MBAM download and install any available updates.
  • After the update is complete go to the Scanner tab.
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hello.

Are you still there? Do you still require help?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 7 days from the last day I replied initially, the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#10 bjn029

bjn029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

EB

Sorry for the delay, it's been a crazy few days, birthday, Halloween and kids commitments have precluded me from sitting at the laptop. I will run what you asked for the other day and post the findings this evening.

thanks for your continued patience.

Bryan

#11 bjn029

bjn029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

Again, sorry for the delay.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5018

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

11/1/2010 9:45:20 PM
mbam-log-2010-11-01 (21-45-20).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 146220
Time elapsed: 17 minute(s), 15 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\newmans\Local Settings\temp\0.7788933145310547.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Attached Files

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

No problems. Same goes for me.

How's your compute running now? Any more problems, issues, symptoms left?

Let's get one final online scan done and we should be good:

Run ESET Online Scan

• Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image
You can refer to this animation by neomage if needed.

Then, I'll give you some prevention tips etc...

#13 bjn029

bjn029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hey EB

Things seem to be great! Although the ESET scan picked a few items up.

Thanks for much for your help.

Attached Files

#14 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hello.

Yes, ESET did detect a few things but most were just java caches and system restore points that were infected which doesn't pose a active threat. Those would have been dealt with anyways at the end once we do the cleanup.

Anyways other than that it looks good. ESET removed them.

Let's wrap it up then. :)

Please follow/read the steps below to remove the tools we used and for some more information. :)

Uninstall ComboFix

Remove Combofix now that we're done with it.
  • Please press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard. This will bring up the Run... command.
  • Now type in Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
    Posted Image
  • Please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
  • You will then recieve a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully once it's done uninstalling itself.
This will uninstall Combofix and anything assoicated with it.

Download and Run OTC

We will now remove the tools we used during this fix using OTC.

• Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click Posted Image icon to start the program. If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose run as administrator
  • Then Click the big Posted Image button.
  • You will get a prompt saying "Being Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
  • Restart your computer when prompted.

Congratulations! You now appear clean! :cool:

Now that you are clean, please follow and read some of the prevention tips >over here<. Is your system a bit slow? If so, try some of the points and things suggested here.

If you have no more questions, comments or problems please tell us, so we can close off the topic.

Thanks.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users